Stonehorse Shoal, 1852-1963
Location & historical notes: Massachusetts, about 1/2 mile off the southern end of Monomoy Point, at the eastern end of Nantucket Sound. Positioned to mark a course change required when using Pollock Rip Channel. Eventually replaced by a lighted horn buoy.
The station was originally named "Shovelful Shoal," from 1852-1916, then renamed "Stonehorse Shoal."
1934-1951: LV-53 / WAL-501
1951-1963: LV-101 / WAL-524
Copyright © 2003 United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association
INC. All rights reserved.
Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of