YEAR BUILT: 1852

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $12,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - oak & yellow pine, iron fastened, bowsprit, 2 masts, oval daymark on mainmast only

LENGTH: 694" (lbp)

BEAM: 23'O" DRAFT: 81"

TONNAGE: 140 gross

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on main, 8 oil lamps with reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 3-

Said to have been named OLD HICKORY when launched-
1868/69: Supplied with new oil lamps and reflectors-
1875: Bottom re-coppered; 1879 extensively repaired at New Bedford-
1883:Interior arrangement changed "for greater comfort and heathfullness"-
Bowsprit removed between 1892 and 1895-
1901: Aug white stripe repainted to have lower edge flush with spar deck;
name and number painted in black on white stripe-
1916: Masts removed; replaced by steel skeleton light structure on deckhouse;
oil lamps replaced with single acetylene lens lantern-
1917: Fog bell modified to strike by machinery-
1919 Equipped with radio; discontinued 1922

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 3

1852-1916: Shovelful Shoal (MA)
1916: Relief (MA)
1916-1923: Handkerchief Shoal (MA)

(1877 Station position relocated 1/2 mi southward)
(1884 Jan 4, station position moved 3/4 mi northeasterly due to formation of shoal spots on the track between Shovelful and Pollock Rip lightships)
(Shovelfull station discontinued 1916; moved and renamed Stonehorse)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 3 was assigned vessel was referred to in official records as "Shovelfull" or "the Shovelfull")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 3-

1852: Placed on Shovelfull Shoal (MA)-
1872: Mar 7, carried off station by moving ice, replaced Mar 12-
1875: Feb 14, carried off station by ice, dragged over shoal damaging-
1879: Mar 31, broke adrift in storm, returned to station Apr 5-
1899: Feb 13, Dragged eastward by ice, returned to station Apr 15-
Passing vessels collided with Shovelfull lightship in 1884; 1889 Mar 27 0430;
1892 Aug; 1893 Feb 23; 1896; 1898; 1899 Mar 22; 1900 Aug 28 & Oct 21;
1901 May 15 0400; 1902 Aug 10; 1904 Jan 8; 1905 Mar 7; 1906 Oct 8. Except for
4 instances of coal barges under tow, all collisions involved sailing vessels.

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1924
AGE: 72

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Condemned and sold 1924-
1956: Was observed at Boston MA in use as floating clubhouse

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 3

1852 - ?: Samuel D Clifford, Keeper
1890-1893: Charles L Ireland, Keeper
1893-1900: Charles L Ireland, Master
1901-1902: Judah Berry Jr, Mate
1902-1904: Albert W Huntley, Master
1905-?: Lucas Robbins, Mate
?-1914: Zemira C McDonald, Mate
1914 -1915: F H Nickerson, Mate
?-1916: Abram E Bearse, Master
1915-1917: Millard F Rogers, Mate
1917-1924: Edgar P Eldridge, Mate
1916-1918: J B Frizzell, Master
1918-?: Ebenezer F Kelley, Master

Back to Stonehorse Lightship Station History

animated gif

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.