WAL-605, circa 1955

1898-1960

Location & historical notes: Delaware, off the south side of the entrance to the Delaware Bay, about 3.5 miles east of Cape Henlopen and 8.5 miles and 200 degrees from the Cape May Lighthouse.  The station was replaced by buoyage.

Lightships assigned:

1898-1901: LV-46

YEAR BUILT: 1887

BUILT AT: Linwood (PA)

BUILDER: Houston & Woodbridge

APPROPRIATION: $60,000
(Approp. Aug 4, 1886 "for Cape Charles lt-ship station")

CONTRACT PRICE: $60,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 45

DESIGN: Composite- steel frame, iron hull sheathed w/yellow pine; fastened with iron rivets and screw bolts; 2 masts, daymarks on both; stack ahead of mainmast; 2 aux. steam boilers steam pump

LENGTH: 124'6" (loa); BEAM: 27'0; DRAFT: 116"; TONNAGE: 401 displ

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps with reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam whistle; hand operated 1010 lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 46
-1899: Jun 4-24, Boiler repairs at Portsmouth (VA)
-1891: Jun 25-Jul 16, brought in for general repair"
-1893: Dec 10-Mar 16 1894, boilers repaired
-1895: Both boilers replaced prior to transfer to Smith Point
-1896: Jun 19-Jul 16, major overhaul at Baltimore (MD)
-1898: Overhauled and refitted at 4th District
-1901: Mar 1, repairs for collision damage (relieved by LV 69)
-1903: Apr 10-Jun 3, brought in for repairs (station marked by lighted bell buoy)
-1904: Oct 23-Mar 22 1905, repaired and refitted
-1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal
-1910: Equipped with radio


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 46

1888-1891: Cape Charles (VA) - (station locally called Smiths Island Shoal)
1891-1893: Bush Bluff (VA)
1893-1895: Wolf Trap (VA)
1895-1897: Smith Point (VA)
1897-1898: (laid up at Portsmouth, VA)
1891-1901: Overfalls (DE)
1901-1922: Tail of Horseshoe (VA)
1923: Relief (laid up)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 46
-1888: Feb 17 placed on Cape Charles (VA)
-Parted chain and off station 1888 Mar 16-28; again in 1889 Oct 23-Nov 5
-1891: Jul 16, placed on Bush Bluff (VA)
-1893: Jun 7-Jul 5, "relieved" Cape Charles LV 49; (C&GS schooner Drift marked
Bush Bluff during this period)
-1893: Jul 31, "moored off Wolf Trap" (VA) during lighthouse reconstruction
-1893: Aug 28, boiler explosion killed engineer and seaman; fog signal disabled
-1893: Dec 10-Mar 16 1894, withdrawn for repair; relieved by schooner Drift
-1895: Feb 14, placed at Smith Point (VA), marking Lighthouse carried away by ice
-1897: Sep 17, in collision with barges under tow
-1897: Oct 15-Sep 15 1898, laid up in charge of watchman at Portsmouth (VA)
-1898: Sep 15, transferred and towed to 4th District, then overhauled
-1898: Dec 2, placed on Overfalls (DE)
-1899: Feb 11-Mar 14, carried off station by ice
-1901: Transferred to 5th District; Jun placed on Tail of Horseshoe (VA)
-1904: Oct 23-Mar 22 1905, withdrawn for repairs; relieved by LV 7
-1918: Jan 4, carried off station by ice moving out entrance to Chesapeake Bay
into shoal water off Cape Henry; picked up and towed in by ORCHID Jan 6

More notes: LV 46
-1922: Withdrawn from Tail of Horseshoe; station discontinued
-1923: Designated Relief and laid up


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1923 AGE: 36

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Not listed after 1923, probably sold that year

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 46

1899-1901: Samuel S Baxter, Master
1906-1913: Walter S Barnett, Mate
1913: William Mullen, Mate
1913-1915: Anelius Anderson, Mate
1915-1922: Anelius Anderson, Master
1915: George B Reynolds, Mate
1915-1917: Benjamin L Harris, Mate
1917-1918: Ernst Brownley, Mate
1918-1919: Robert A Dixon, Mate
1919: Luther Muse, Mate
1919-1920: George K Rollinson, Mate
1920-1922: James Lufton, Mate

1901-1925: LV-69

YEAR BUILT: 1897

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

APPROPRIATION: $200,000
(Used 1889 appropriation for building a lighthouse on Outer Diamond Shoal)

CONTRACT PRICE: $79,500

SISTER VESSELS: LV 68

DESIGN: Steam screw -composite hull (steel frame with wood bottom and steel plated topsides); 2 masts with lantern galleries: stack amidships

LENGTH: 122'l0" (loa); BEAM: 29'6"; DRAFT: 13'6" (depth); TONNAGE: 590 displ.

PROPULSION: Steam one single cylinder surface condensing engine, 22" bore x 20" stroke, 350 IHP; coal fired main boiler 113" dia x 122" long; 4 bladed propeller 8' dia; max speed 8 1/2 knots; also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of three 100cp electric lens lanterns permanently mounted in gallery at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated 1000 lb bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 69-
Steel stem, keel, framing, and bilge strake with diagonal steel bracing keel
to sheer; wood planked from keel to main deck level; steel plated from main
deck level to weather deck-
1897: Jun 17, launched-
1897: Equipped with special submersible mooring buoy to relieve strain on chain-
1907: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1919: Equipped with radio-
1920: Original electric illuminating apparatus replaced with single acetylene
lens lantern at each masthead-
1932: Equipped with radio-beacon

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 69
1897-1901: Diamond Shoal (NC)**
1901-1925: Overfalls (DE)
1925-1936: Scotland (NJ)

**(1898 May 3-Sep 18, temporary duty as lighthouse tender during Spanish American War.  LV 71 marked the Diamond Shoal station during this period)
(During the period 1898-1901, LV 69 and LV 71 alternately relieved each other on the Diamond Shoal station)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 69-
An appropriation of $200,000 was made Mar 2, 1889 for construction of a lighthouse on Outer Diamond Shoal off Cape Hatteras. Preliminary efforts were unsuccessful and the appropriation was later used in part to construct LV 69-
1897: Aug, delivered by contractor to Staten Island Depot; fitted out & supplied then towed to Portsmouth VA Sep 26 to received special mooring buoy; towed to Diamond station and positioned by tender MAPLE about midnight Sep 29; activated lights at 0200 Sep 30 - 14 5/8 mi. SE 3/8 E from Cape Hatteras Light-
Special mooring arrangement described as having the chain led thru center of a cubical mooring buoy at 45 fathoms, which when drawn under water would relieve the anchor from direct strain by the vessel. Found unsatisfactory Feb 26, 1898 when chain chafed thru hawsepipe of buoy which then sank; replaced with 1st Class can buoy shackled on at 45 fathoms but caused problems with vessel fouling chain and buoy. Spherical buoy then proposed and designed no results recorded-
1898: Construction defects discovered-deck leaks making quarters unusable; donkey boilers improperly insulated and unusable due to fire hazard, and not adequate to power the fog signal; electric plant inadequate-
1898: Mar 9, relieved (by LV 71) for examination & repair; 3878 vessels recorded as passing the station since LV 69 arrived

More notes: LV 69-
1898: May 23-Sep 18, served as lighthouse tender during Spanish American War (when tender MAPLE taken by Navy), steaming 3,400 miles in the process; Sep 18, towed to Baltimore for overhaul; replaced on Diamond Shoal Nov 24-
1899: Jan 6, dragged off station in gales Jan 6-12, Feb 1, Feb 14, Apr 4 Apr 10 During the year 5, 146 vessels passed the station-
1899: During a hurricane commencing Aug 1.5, and with engine full ahead during most of the period, vessel driven ashore near Creeds Hill Lifesaving Station NC Aug 18; All hands landed by lifesaving crew; Sep 23, refloated and repaired in Baltimore; extensive repairs to underwater planking, boilers & machinery 1900 Sep 2, resumed station, replacing LV 71 placed there after hurricane-
1901: Feb 17, withdrawn & replaced by LV 72; transferred to 4th District and hauled for repair at Portsmouth VA-
1901: Mar 1, placed on Overfalls (DE) replacing LV 46
1904: Carried off station or withdrawn due to moving ice Feb 17-29 and Feb 11-26-
1901 thru 1906: relieved periodically (by LV 72 & 78) for repairs-
1907: Jan 15, submarine bell signal placed in operation-
1916: Jun-Dec, withdrawn; replanked and recoppered; new tankage installed; machinery overhauled - $23,876.22-
1925: Transferred to 3d District and placed on Scotland (NJ), remained assigned there until 1936

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1937? AGE: 40

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: ??

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 69

1897- 1898: August E Mom, Master
1898: Frederick H Sparling, Master
1898-1899: August E Blom, Master
1900-1901: Joseph Connor, Master
1901-?: Samuel S Baxter, Master
?-1914: Alfred Johansen, Mate
1914: James McAuley, Mate
1914-1918: Frank Tilghman, Mate
1918-1924: Andrew J Tarr, Mate
1919-1924: Alfred Johansen, Master
1921-1923: Frank Tilghman, Mate
1924-?: Andrew J Tarr, Master
1925-1927: Frank J Wynn, Mate
1927: Timothy F Lane, Mate
1927: John A Veseth, Mate
1936-1937: Kolb Skari, Mate
1937-?: Ralph S Logan, Master

1926-1951: LV-101 / WAL-524

YEAR BUILT: 1916

BUILT AT: Wilmington (DE)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Pusey & Jones

CONTRACT PRICE: $108,507

SISTER VESSELS: LV 102 / WAL 525

DESIGN: Self propelled; steel whaleback hull; single large dia. tubular lantern mast forward; steel pilot house/bridge at foot of mast; small jigger mast aft

LENGTH: l0l'10" (loa); BEAM: 25'0"; DRAFT: 11'4"; TONNAGE: 360 displ

PROPULSION: One 200 HP Meitz & Weiss 4 cylinder 2 cycle direct reversing kerosene engine; 4 bladed propeller; speed 8 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 500mm lens with 6 flash panels revolved by weight-driven clockwork, kerosene lamp; housed in cylindrical lantern: 24,000 cp

FOG SIGNAL: 6" air siren; mushroom type horn on deck; compressor driven by two 40 HP kerosene engines; submarine bell; hand operated 1000 lb bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 101-
Launched Jan 12, 1916; completed and accepted Sep 2?, 1916-
1917: Iliuminant changed from kerosene to acetylene-
1919: Equipped with radio-
1931: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1931: Illuminating apparatus converted to duplex 375 mm electric len~ lantern,
13,OOOcp each lamp, original cylindrical lantern housing removed-
1931: Fog signal changed to 10" air whistle-
1944: Repowered with Cooper-Bessemer 315HP diesel, 5'6" dia propeller, max speed 8.2 knots-
1963: USCG lists vessel with F2T diaphone, CR-i03 radar; max draft 12'2", other characteristics in line with above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGQ (1940-1963)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 101 / WAL 524
1916-1924: Cape Charles-(VA)
1925-1926: Relief (VA) - (not used during entire year)
1926-1951: Overfalls (DE)
1951-1963: Stonehorse Shoal (MA)

(1942-1945: During WWII, remained on Overfalls station; no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 101 / WAL 524-
1916: Oct 4, placed on Cape Charles (VA)-
1920: Feb 4, parted chain and engine broke down; anchored until engine repaired
then regained station Feb 7-
1930: Jun, radiobeacon of Overfalls LV 101 sequenced with Five Fathom and
Winter Quarter stations-
1951: Transferred to 1st District; overhauled at Boston then placed on
Stonehorse Shoal (MA) May 1951

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1964; AGE: 48

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Mar 23, 1964; donated Sep 3, 1964; as of 1986 was dry berthed and open to the public as Portsmouth Lightship Museum, Portsmouth VA; marked with pseudo-name PORTSMOUTH

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 101 / WAL 624

1916-1917: A T Loss, Master
1916-1917: William H Harvey, Mate
1917: Charley E O'Neal, Mate
1917: Benjamin J Harris, Mate
1917: George Rollinson, Mate
1917-?: Frank L Dixon, Mate
1917-1921: Thomas S Simmons, Master
1921-?: Arthur M Hudson, Master
1941: BMC Otto E Lange, CO
1951: BMC Thurston L Peabody, CO
1963: BMC William Gauthier, OIC

1951-1960: WLV-605

YEAR BUILT: 1950

BUILT AT: East Boothbay (ME)

BUILDER: Rice Brothers

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $651,000

SISTER VESSELS: WLV 604

DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull and deckhouses: breakwater on foredeck; 2 masts; stack amidships

LENGTH: 158' 0" (loa); BEAM: 30' 0"; DRAFT: 11 '0"; TONNAGE: 617 displ. ("light")

PROPULSION: Diesel - Atlas Imperial 550HP @ 750rpm; 7' dia. propeller: max speed 10.7 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Dunlex 500mm electric lens lantern on foremast only;
15, 000cp each light

FOG SIGNAL: Twin F2T diaphones mounted aft of pilot house

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS -- EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: WLV 605-
Same general plan and features as for WLV 180-
Used all-welded construction with transverse bulkheads carried up to weather deck level; hawsepipes carried to main deck before leading to chain locker; alternating current electrical system throughout-
Laid down 1949 Mar 1, involved in fire when 65% complete; launched 1950 May 4, sponsor Miss Elizbeth F Loughlin, Washington DC: Sea trials- 1951 Feb 7; delivered 1951 Feb 15.-
Designated WAL 605 when built, changed to WLV in 1965-
1964 USCG lists vessel with CG high intensity 500,000cp light on mainmast, duplex 375mm lens- lantern on fore, 13, 000cp each light; CR-103 radar Radio and visual call sign NKVY (1951 1975)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: WLV 605
1951-1960: Overfalls (DE)
1960-1969: Blunts Reef' (CA)
1969-1975: Relief (West Coast)

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1975; AGE: 25

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Jan 1, 1976; acquired by State Capital Museum Association Olympia WA 1978; sold 1979 to Alan Hoskins and used for tours at Half Noon Bay (CA). Acquired by US Lighthouse Society San Francisco, Dec 1988. Berthed San Francisco Bay area, on display as floating museum

COMMANDING OFFICERS: WLV 605
1956: WO L R Smith, OIC

CO- Erickson, LTJG (transit from East to West 1960)

Here is a link to the Crew List of the Men who Made the East to West Trip in 1960

CO-Burdick, R.M. W2 (Blunts Reef)

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.