WHAT'S NEW ON THE WEB SITE ?

YEAR BUILT: 1914

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION: $75,000
(Approp. Mar 4, 1911)

CONTRACT PRICE: $71,292

SISTER VESSELS: LV 98 / WAL 521

DESIGN: Non-Propelling; steel whaleback hull; large diameter tubular lantern mast amidships; steel pilot/chart house forward

LENGTH: 10l'6" (loa); BEAM: 23'6"; DRAFT: 113"; TONNAGE: 170 displ, fresh water

PROPULSION: None provided, however was fitted with stern tube for future use

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Large cylindrical lantern housing with electric lamp and revolving parabolic reflector giving l000cp flash 42 ft above water

FOG SIGNAL: 6" air siren, submarine bell, hand operated bell; siren supplied by two 3 cylinder compressors driven by kerosene engines

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 96-

When built, fitted with 2 kerosene engine generator sets and storage batteries-
1925: Equipped with radio, discontinued 1927-
1925: Equipped with radio beacon-
1932: Radio beacon synchronized with fog signal for distance finding-
1933: Submarine bell discontinued-
1936: Diesel engine installed, 175 IHP, speed approx 5 knots-
1936: Cylindrical lantern housing removed; duplex 375mm electric lens lantern installed in masthead gallery, 17,000 c.p. each-
1944: Re powered with Cooper-Bessemer diesel 31SHP @ 800rpm, 5'6" dia 3-bladed propeller, max speed 10.2 knots; supplied with ABK radar, removed 1948-
1954: USCG lists vessel with air diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon); other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGN (1940-1954)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 96 / WAL 520
1914: Buffalo (NY)
1915-1920: Poe Reef (MI)
1921-1935: Lake Huron (MI)
1937-1954: Cross Rip (MA)

(1914: While awaiting assignment, was temporarily used to mark the Buffalo station following the sinking of LV 82 on Nov 10, 1913)
(1942-1945: During WWII, remained on Cross Rip station, no armament provided)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 96 / WAL 520-
1914: Oct 23, delivered by contractor; temporarily marked Buffalo station-
1915: Apr 24, placed on Poe Reef (MI), southern entrance to Straights of Mackinac, Lake Huron; red hull lettered "POE" in white, showing flashing white light-
As with all Great Lakes lightships, vessel was withdrawn from station during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation usually Nov/Dec through Mar/Apr each year. Necessary repairs were performed during the period the vessel was in winter quarters-
1934: Sep 20, low power proximity warning radio beacon placed in service for test; providing a variable tone (warble) signal up to approximately 10 miles and operating 1 minute out of every 3 during the test. Vessels reported receiving the signal at 10-15 miles with noticeable increase in loudness as the lightship was approached

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1955; AGE: 41

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Jan 18, 1955; sold Jul 28, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICES: LV 96 / WAL 520

1914-1915: C J Navarre, Master
1915-1916: Conrad Christlansen, Master
1915-1916: William C Kane, Mate
1916-1911: Charles Bernier, Mate
1916-1921: Ernest LeBahn, Master
1921-?: Frank Leimbach, Master
1921-1925: Michael D Renehan, Mate
?-1939: Ernest L Snow, Master
1939-?: George F Harrison, Master
1948-1951: CWO Edward Andreason, CO
1951-1953: BMC Frank Masaschi, OTC
1953-1954: BM1 John Milstead, OIC
1954: BMC Leo F. Gracie, OIC

I love this website! Back to Cross Rip Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.