Location & historical notes: Virginia, in the lower Chesapeake Bay, in the Elizabeth River off Craney Island opposite the port of Norfolk, marking the west side of Craney Island Beach. Served as a guide in the approach to Norfolk and Portsmouth harbors. The station was replaced by the Craney Island Lighthouse.
1820-1859: "C" (The only lightship to occupy this station).
Funds appropriated: 1819; contract awarded Sept 2, 1819
Built: 1819 by James Poole, Hampton VA
Tonnage: 70; wood hull, copper fastened and sheathed
Stations: 1820: Willoughby's Spit (VA)
1821-1859: Craney Island (VA)
Notes: The first U.S. lightship. Placed at the northern extremity of Willoughby Bank, a shoal making out from Willoughby's Spit, however the vessel was unable to endure sea conditions at this location and was shortly moved to a position off Craney Island in the Elizabeth River off the port of Norfolk.
Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.
Copyright © 2004 United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association
INC. All rights reserved.
Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of