1855-1870

Location & historical notes: Virginia, Chesapeake Bay, west side, off the entrance to the York River.  Moored off the southeast end of the extensive shoal comprising York Spit.

Lightships assigned:

1855-?: ?

? - 1861: "T " (taken by Confederate forces in 1861)

Built: 1856 at Philadelphia Navy Yard
Length: 81'6"; Beam: 21'6"; Depth: 10'6"; Tonnage: "about" 150; wood hull
Stations: During the period 1856-1861, used on both Wolf Trap (VA) and York
Spit (VA)
Note: Removed, sunk or destroyed by Confederate forces, 1861

1861-1863: station vacant

1863: LV-22

Note: LV 12 is LV 22

YEAR BUILT: 1846

BUILT AT: Philadelphia, PA

APPROPRIATION: ??

BUILDER: ??

CONTRACT PRICE: Purchase/conversion costs unknown

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood, white oak and locust; copper & galvanized iron fastenings; two masts; lantern and square daymark on foremast only.

LENGTH: 72', BEAM: 20' 6", DRAFT: 9' 7", TONNAGE: 159 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on foremast; 8 lard oil lamps w/ reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LVl2 (II):

-1867: Metal sheathing repaired due to ice damage, broken fog bell replaced
-1868/69: Major overhaul at Norfolk, Virginia; supplied with one 2,800 pound mushroom anchor & 90 fathoms of 1 x 3/4" chain for use "in case of emergency."
-1871: Repairs at Staten Island, New York, upon transfer to Third District
-1874: Extensive repairs ($16,488); fitted with two new mushroom anchors & 185 fathoms of chain
-1880: July, extensive hull repairs, new lantern mast, re-rigged
-1883: General overhaul
-1891: Reported in poor condition, structurally weak from rot

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 12 (II):

-1846-?:  Relief, Fifth District
-1863-1864:  York Spit (VA)
-1864-1870:  Wolf Trap Shoal (VA); (numbered LV-22 in 1867)
-1871-1872:  Eel Grass Shoal (CT); (renumbered LV-12 in 1871)
-1872-1882:  Cornfield Point (CT)
-1884-1885:  Relief (CT)
-1885-1901:  Hog Island Shoal (RI)
-1901-1903:  Relief (CT); laid up

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 12 (II):

-1846:  Identified as "Relief" until she was assigned the hull number LV-22 in 1867 while on Wolf Trap station.
-1864:  On York Spit, VA, during the Civil War, "facilitating Army transport movement."
-1864, Aug 2: removed from York Spit and placed on Wolf Trap Shoal.
-1871, Jun:  lightship station discontinued upon activation of Wolf Trap Light; LV-22, was transferred to the Third District for relief duty.
-1871:  Placed on Eel Grass Shoal, CT, replacing the "old" LV-12/GUTHRIE; and was then renumbered from LV-22 to LV-12 by the Lighthouse Board.  Later carried off station by ice.
-1872:  Moved to Cornfield Point, CT.
-1875:  Carried off station by ice.
-1882:  Moved to Eel Grass Shoal.
-1884:  Station discontinued upon activation of the Latimers Reef Light.  LV-12 then assigned to "Relief" duty and was stationed at New London, CT.
-1886, Aug 14:  placed on Hog Island Shoal, RI, replacing a private aid to navigation.
-1898:  In collision with a passing vessels
-1901, Nov. 4: Hog Island Light, RI, activated; lightship station was discontinued, the lightship was withdrawn and laid up at New London.
-1901: LV-12 is designated "Relief" but was actually laid up at New London until 1903

More notes:

"No number cut in main beam"; vessel was identified only as "Relief" by Fifth District until 1867 when it was assigned the hull number LV-22.  She was once again renumbered in 1871, this time as LV-12--she retained this number until she was placed out of government service.

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1903; AGE: 57

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold at public auction in New London, CT

COMMANDING OFFICERS:

-1877-1893:  John A. Beebe, Keeper
-1895-1900:  Wainwright B. Cummings, Master
-1896-1897:  William Walin, Master

1864-1867: station vacant

1867-1870: LV-24

YEAR BUILT: 1863

BUILT AT: New Bedford (MA)

BUILDER: Stephen Andrews

APPROPRIATION: None needed

CONTRACT PRICE: $47,500 (for 3 vessels)
(Contract for 3 vessels for Upper & Lower Cedar Point and Cross Rip

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts, hoop iron daymark at each masthead

LENGTH: 77' (lbp), BEAM: 21', DRAFT: 10', TONNAGE: 115

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 24-

1867: Aug, hauled and recaulked at Norfolk (VA); repainted yellow-
1869: Sep New lantern mast installed-
1871: Repaired at New York $2,658,57-
1873: Repaired at 2d District-
1874: Repaired at 2d District-
1875: Nov, new lantern installed on foremast-
1877: Sep "hull in very bad condition", "thoroughly repaired"-
1880: Recaulked and painted-
1887: "Thoroughly overhauled" and repainted

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV24
1864-1867: Lower Cedar Point (MD
1867-1870: York Spit (VA)
1870-1871: Relief (3d District)
1871-1874: Relief (2d District &3d District)
1874-1875: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1875-1889: Relief (4th District)

(1877: May15-Aug 10,temporary duty near Ship John Shoal (DE) during lighthouse construction)

(Prior to 1867 when No. 24 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as 'Lower Cedar Point Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 24-
1864: Sep, placed on Lower Cedar Point (MD)-
1867: Aug 6, withdrawn when Lower Cedar Point Lighthouse completed-
1867: Oct, placed on York Spit (VA)- (this station had been vacant since 1861)-
1871: Jun, withdrawn, transferred to 3d District and assigned Relief duty-
1871-74: "used as Relief in both 2d and 3d Districts"-
1872: 3d District stated "repaired last autumn and now on Succonnessett Shoal"-
1874: Nov 15, moved to 4th District and placed on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)-
1875: Nov withdrawn and assigned as Relief, 4th District-
1889: Sep 12, while relieving Five Fathom Bank (NJ), found to be leaking during
hurricane; slipped chain and made sail for Delaware Bay. Picked up by tender and
assisted to Delaware Breakwater Sep 13. On Sep 14 towed to Edgemoor (DE); found
to be badly hogged, seams opened, and hawsepipe damaged. Reported "unworthy of
further repair" and condemned


More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1889 AGE: 26

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1890 May 16, sold at public auction - $200

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

 

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.