1874-1960

Location & historical notes: Virginia, in 66 feet of water about 8 1/2 miles offshore from Assateague Island, 13 miles and 080 degrees from the Assateague Light.  Moved several times to a final position about 9.5 miles east southeast from the shoal.  Guarded Winter Quarter Shoal and served as a reference mark for coastwise traffic, and for making the approach to the Chesapeake Bay from the North.  It was replaced by lighted bell buoy "6 WQS."

Lightships assigned:

1874-1875: LV-24

YEAR BUILT: 1863

BUILT AT: New Bedford (MA)

BUILDER: Stephen Andrews

APPROPRIATION: None needed

CONTRACT PRICE: $47,500 (for 3 vessels)
(Contract for 3 vessels for Upper & Lower Cedar Point and Cross Rip

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts, hoop iron daymark at each masthead

LENGTH: 77' (lbp), BEAM: 21', DRAFT: 10', TONNAGE: 115

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 24-

1867: Aug, hauled and recaulked at Norfolk (VA); repainted yellow-
1869: Sep New lantern mast installed-
1871: Repaired at New York $2,658,57-
1873: Repaired at 2d District-
1874: Repaired at 2d District-
1875: Nov, new lantern installed on foremast-
1877: Sep "hull in very bad condition", "thoroughly repaired"-
1880: Recaulked and painted-
1887: "Thoroughly overhauled" and repainted

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV24
1864-1867: Lower Cedar Point (MD
1867-1870: York Spit (VA)
1870-1871: Relief (3d District)
1871-1874: Relief (2d District &3d District)
1874-1875: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1875-1889: Relief (4th District)

(1877: May15-Aug 10,temporary duty near Ship John Shoal (DE) during lighthouse construction)

(Prior to 1867 when No. 24 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as 'Lower Cedar Point Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 24-
1864: Sep, placed on Lower Cedar Point (MD)-
1867: Aug 6, withdrawn when Lower Cedar Point Lighthouse completed-
1867: Oct, placed on York Spit (VA)- (this station had been vacant since 1861)-
1871: Jun, withdrawn, transferred to 3d District and assigned Relief duty-
1871-74: "used as Relief in both 2d and 3d Districts"-
1872: 3d District stated "repaired last autumn and now on Succonnessett Shoal"-
1874: Nov 15, moved to 4th District and placed on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)-
1875: Nov withdrawn and assigned as Relief, 4th District-
1889: Sep 12, while relieving Five Fathom Bank (NJ), found to be leaking during
hurricane; slipped chain and made sail for Delaware Bay. Picked up by tender and
assisted to Delaware Breakwater Sep 13. On Sep 14 towed to Edgemoor (DE); found
to be badly hogged, seams opened, and hawsepipe damaged. Reported "unworthy of
further repair" and condemned


More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1889 AGE: 26

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1890 May 16, sold at public auction - $200

1875-1876: LV-2

YEAR BUILT: 1849

BUILT AT: Records show "unknown"

APPROPRIATION: $12,500

BUILDER: Records show "unknown"

CONTRACT PRICE: $12,402

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood-white oak; copper & locust fastenings; 2 masts; iron hoop daymark at main masthead

LENGTH: 98' 0" (lbp)

BEAM: 250" DRAFT: 96"

TONNAGE:210 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on main with 8 oil lamps & reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 2-

1849: Said to have been named GENERAL TAYLOR when launched-
1867: Rebuilt -$16,500-
1882: Rebuilt and resalted - $22,000-
1893: Recaulked, recoppered, stem repaired

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 2

1849-1875: Pollock Rip (MA)
1875-1876:Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1877-1907: Hen and Chickens (MA)
1907-1910: Relief (4th District)
1910-1921: Relief (5th District)

(Prior to 1867/68 when No. 2 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Pollock Rip" or "the Pollock Rip")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 2-

While on Pollock Rip, broke adrift 1868 & 1873; carried off station by ice
1871 & 1874; rammed during 1867 & 1873-
1875: Sep, transferred to 4th District-
1875: Nov placed on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)-
1877: Transferred to 2d District; placed on Hen and Chickens (MA) Nov 1-
1881: Reported to be "in bad order and worn out"-
1883: Repainted black-
1897: Vessel's liberty boat and 2 crewmen lost at sea while attempting passage
from New Bedford to the lightship-
1889:Broke adrift in gale and carried to sea. Worked into Narragansett Bay and
anchored 9 days later. Picked up and towed to station by AZALEA-
1905: Carried off station by ice-
1905: Appropriation bill for $90,000 introduced in Congress for replacement
vessel-
1907:Withdrawn from Hen & Chickens and transferred to 4th District as Relief,
based at Edgemoor, DE-
1910: Transferred to 5th District as Relief

More notes: LV 2-
1915 Feb 17, while relieving Bush Bluff, struck by tug EMMA KATE ROSS

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1922
AGE: 73

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold Mar 1, 1922 for $76

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 2

1849-1852: Samuel D Clifford, Master
1879-1887: George W Thompson, Asst Keeper
1892- 1893: Albert W Matthews, Asst Keeper
1893-1894: Albert W Matthews, Mate
1894-- 1901: Albert W Matthews, Master
1905-1906: James B Frizzel, Mate
1915-1916: A.T. Loss, Mate
1918: George W. Hamilton, Mate

1876-1888: LV-37

YEAR BUILT: 1869

BUILT AT: Philadelphia (PA)

BUILDER: John W. Lynn

APPROPRIATION: $100,000
(Approp. Mar 3 1869 "for construction of 2 relief vessels", used for LV 37 & 38)

CONTRACT PRICE: ?

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood-live oak, white oak & yellow pine; copper & galv. iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts; daymark on main only

LENGTH: 98'0" (lbp); BEAM:236"; DRAFT: 10'6"; TONNAGE: 242 gross

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns each with 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 1000 lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 37-
1872: Supplied with 4000 lb mushroom & chain purchased from Navy Dept-
1875: Hauled and thoroughly repaired - $2143.03-
1876: Overhauled and repaired-
1880: Apr 15-Oct 12, hauled and found in bad condition; "not a timber between
wind and water was not decayed" - Rebuilt-
1881: Jul 28-Oct 6, brought to Wilmington (DE) for repairs-
1883: Jul 8-Aug 1, new mainmast & rigging, new tiller chains, lantern houses
lined with tin and floored with copper-
1885: Deck recaulked on station, 2 new boats supplied-
1890: Feb 12-Mar 6, at Wilmington (DE), new rudder and mainmast, galley refitted-
1892: Dec, extensive repair & refit prior to Relief duty assignment

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 37
1869-1876: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)
1876-1888: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1888: Relief (4th District)
1888-1892: Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)
1892-1893: Relief (4th District)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 37-
1869: Dec 15, placed on Five Fathom Bank (NJ)-
1872: Mar, parted chain arid drifted; picked up replaced on station by Revenue
steamer COLFAX-
1874: Jan 16, parted chain and drifted 3/4 mi E x 5; continued to show lights
until Mar 2, when repositioned by tender-
1874: Apr 22, liberty boat capsized while crossing Cold Spring bar; 4 crewmen
lost , "keeper" was rescued by pilot boat-
1875: Dec 14, parted chain and anchored 1 mile seaward of station continued to
chow lights until repositioned Dec 20-
1876: Oct 4, p laced on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)-
1877: Apr 10 broke adrift and "took refuge" in Hampton Roads, returning to
station under sail Apr 17-
1878: Jun 31, shipped a heavy sea which threw the 3500 lb spare anchor inboard
onto the foredeck, destroyed forward lantern house and damaged the lantern-
1888: May 18, withdrawn and assigned Relief: duty; (replaced by LV 45)-
1888: Oct 29, placed on Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)-
1892: soon to be replaced by a steam propelled light vessel"-
1892: Withdrawn and brought to Edgemoor Depot "for use as Relief vessel'

More notes: LV 37-
1893: Aug 23/24, while relieving Five Fathom Bank (NJ) hurricane force winds came up on Aug 23. Breaking seas boarded the vessel frequently and she developed a list to port believed to have been caused by spare chain ranged on deck which had slid into lee scuppers. During a lull, vessel was struck broadside by 4 successive seas, capsized and sank immediately at 0147 Aug 24. Four of six men aboard were lost; two picked up by pilot boat. Investigation concluded that the main hatch cover had not been adequately secured, companionway and other deck openings had not been closed, and chain had not been veered to full scope as required by regulations; and that the vessel could have survived "had proper action been taken." "If the Assistant Keeper had been a man of larger experience and more resources... water could have been kept out". Assistant Keeper went down with the ship.

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1893; AGE: 24

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: First US lightship sunk on station; salvage considered
impractical therefore wreck was "blown up and destroyed" by the USS VESUVIUS
Oct 16, 1893

1888-1908: LV-45

YEAR BUILT: 1887

BUILT AT: Linwood (PA)

BUILDER: Houston & Woodbridge

APPROPRIATION: $60,000
(Approp. 1885 & 1886"for completing lt-ship (iron) with fog signal")

CONTRACT PRICE: $58,500

SISTER VESSELS: LV 46

DESIGN: Composite- steel frame, iron hull sheathed with yellow pine; fastened with iron rivets and screw bolts; 2 masts, daymark on main; stack ahead of main; 2 aux. boilers and steam pump

LENGTH: 124'6" (loa); BEAM: 27'6"; DRAFT: 12'; PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

TONNAGE: 401 displ

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps w/reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam whistle; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 45
-1887: Sep received from contractor; hull leaking; hauled at Wilmington DE and
hull stripped, outer hull caulked and resheathed; deck recaulked
-1890: Deck recaulked on station by shipyard crew
-1891: Boilers retubed on station by engineers of the vessel
-1891: Aug 29-Oct 22, hauled for repairs to hull, boilers, and standing rig
-1895: Jan 17-Oct 18, compressed air fog signal installed using 12' Crosby chime
whistle, 2 Hornsby-Ackroyd 3 1/2 HP oil engines, and air compressor
-1906: Sep 15, submarine bell signal installed for test; operational May 29, 1907
-1908:Fog whistle changed to 8"

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 45

1888-1908: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1908-1918: Thirty Five Foot Channel (VA)

(Thirty Five Foot station marked by a buoy Jul 1918 when LV 45 partially destroyed by fire; station discontinued 1919, replaced by lighted buoy)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 45

-1888: Mar 18, placed on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
-1889: Apr 7, parted chain, picked up 38 miles off Hatteras by British steamer
VIOLA & towed to Portsmouth (VA) then towed to Delaware Breakwater for replacement of anchor & chain; resumed station Apr 29. British salvage claim for $10, 000 resulted in an award of $900
-1891: Aug 29-Oct 22, relieved by C&GS schooner DRIFT while being repaired
-1894: Apr 20, steam fog signal discontinued due to boiler failure bell used until withdrawn for repair Jan 1895. ("relieved by LV 9" from 2nd District)
-1896: Dec 15, parted chain & driven to sea; picked up Dec 30 by British steamer BIRDOSWALD and towed to Hampton Roads; returned to station Jan 8. 1897
-1899: Nov 50Dec 14, relieved for repair by LV 16
-1901: Nov 17-Dec 16, relieved for repair by LV 11
-1903: Jan 28, in collision with schooner
-1903: Apr 29-Jun 15, relieved for repair by LV 71, repaired at Philadelphia
-1903: Jan 28, in collision with schooner
-1906: Sep 15, submarine bell signal. installed for test; placed in regular operation May 29, 1907
-1908: Jan 4, damaged in gale; brought in for survey. (Relieved by LV 91)

More notes: LV 45

-1908: Mar, surveyed and considered unsuitable for further use on exposed stations; reassigned to Thirty Five Foot Channel (VA)


-1918: Mar 3, while being- repaired in shipyard, another ship caught fire and drifted against LV 45 starting a fire aboard; damage estimated at $28,875 plus loss of mess stores- and crew's personal effects; considered uneconomical to repair vessel; station marked by buoy
-1918: Oct 26, surveyed, condemned and laid up

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1918; AGE: 31

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1918 Oct 26, surveyed and condemned 1920 Apr 27, sold

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 45

1888-1893: James H Mason, Asst Keeper
1893-1898: James H Mason, Mate
1898-1913: James H Mason, Master
1898-1913: Harry H Vaughn, Mate
1913: Anelius Anderson, Mate
1913-1914: Robert H Bertram, Master
1913-1915: A T Loss, Mate
1914-1917: John B Johnson, Master
1915-1916: Gus Montague, Mate
1916: C E 0'Neal, Mate
1917-1918: Robert A Dixon, Mate
1917-1918: Arthur K Hudson, Master

1942-1945: marked by a buoy during World War II

You are just a "chop" skip and a jump away from the NEXT page!>

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.