YEAR BUILT: 1876

BUILT AT: Portland (CT)

BUILDER: S. Gildersleeve & Sons

APPROPRIATION: $50,000
(Approp. Jan 23,1874 "for fog signals on lt-ships at entrance to Vineyard Sound"

CONTRACT PRICE: $33,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood-white oak & locust; copper & galvanized iron fastened; bowsprit;
2 masts with daymarks; stack forward of mainmast; 2 aux. steam boilers

LENGTH: 120'6" (loa); BEAM: 26'9"; DRAFT: ll"0"; TONNAGE: 387 gross

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig, fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: "Browns fog siren", operated by compressed air supplied by a
caloric engine; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 41
-1877: Dec, new "trumpet" supplied, hull resalted
-1882: Steam fog signal machinery substituted for hot air system
-188?: Bowsprit removed
-1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal
-1911: Compressed air fog signal machinery and 12" whistle replaced steam siren
-1913: Fog signal changed to air siren
-1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1923
-1920: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene; light characteristic from 2
fixed red to 1 flashing white; forward lantern house and spencer mast removed;
acetylene lens lanterns installed at both mastheads
-1929: Submarine bell signal discontinued

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 41
1876-1910: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1910-1915: Hedge Fence (MA)
1915-1924: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1924-1930: Handkerchief Shoal (MA)
1930-1933: Hedge Fence (MA)

(Records for 1881 state "she is moored NNE and 55W" with two 75 fathom chains
leading to a swivel and thence with 60 fathoms of chain leading inboard)
(1933 Jun 12, Hedge Fence station discontinued)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 41
-1876: Nov 13, stationed on Vineyard Sound (MA), replacing LV 39
-1879: Appropriation requested for replacement of" unsuitable" fog signal
-Broke adrift 1879 Feb 21 and once in 1881
-1883: Nov parted chain, came to anchor in Tarpaulin Cove but fouled a schooner
"doing much damage to both" returned to station Feb 2, 1884
-1886: Jan 9, broke adrift, replaced on station 12 using a single anchor
-1889: Oct parted chain and went adrift. Apr 19 in collision with steamer
-1890: May 10-11, parted chain and adrift
-1891: Feb 15-19, adrift and replaced on station by tender GERANIUM from Boston;
again broke adrift Mar 4, in NW gale, coming to anchor oft East Chop Light
-1891: "lights shown were changed from fixed white to fixed red"; fog signal
operated 1, 134 hours during the year using 62 tons of coal out of 1 03 tons
total coal consumption
-1893: In collision with barges Jan 1 and Oct 23
-1904: In collision with tug AARON N BANGS
-1915: Jun 10, placed on Vineyard Sound, withdrawn 1924, Oct


More notes:
-1923: Apr 29, took aboard 21 survivors from 55 SEACONNET which sank 1 ml. south of lightship with loss of 7 crew. Lightship provided food and dry clothing until survivors removed by tender ANEMONE and taken to New Bedford
-1924: Oct 28, placed on Handkerchief Shoal withdrawn 1930 Aug 28
-1930: Oct 19, placed on Hedge Fence
-1933: Jun 12, withdrawn when Hedge Fence station discontinued and assigned as Relief; laid up and out of commission Jul 1, 1933

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1933 ; AGE: 41

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold Oct 29, 1934

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 41

1887-1893: George W Thompson , Keeper
1894-1897: George W Thompson, Master
1897-1899: Francis Hallett, Master
1899-1903: George W Thompson, Master
1903-1913: Ernest West, Master
1913-1921: Joseph F Baxter, Master
?-1914: Jahn Hansen, Mate
1914-1915: Zemira C McDonald, Mate
1915-1922: Frank H Nickerson, Mate
1921-1930: R E B Phillips, Master
1925-1927: Ernest L Snow, Mate
1927-1928: John B Dupre, Mate
1928-1933: Louie V Veeder, Mate
1930-1931: J B Frizzel, Master

Back to Vineyard Lightship Station History.

 

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.