1909-1961

Location & historical notes: Washington, seaward of the entrance to the Straight of San Juan de Fuca, on the southwest edge of Swiftsure Bank and 13.3 miles and 308 degrees from the Cape Flattery Lighthouse.  There was no replacement established when the station was discontinued.

Lightships assigned:

1909-1930: LV-93 / WAL-517

YEAR BUILT: 1908

BUILT AT: Quincy (MA)

BUILDER: Fore River Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $107,213

SISTER VESSELS: LV 90,91,93 (Built to same general plan as for LV 84-88)

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; wood deckhouses; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'7"; TONNAGE: 685 displ; 478 gross

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 400 IEP; 2 Scotch boilers 10'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; propeller 8'0" dia; design max speed 10 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead; focal plane 50' above water

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 92-
1909: Submarine bell signal installed-
1921: Equipped with radio-
1924: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1929: Illuminating apparatus changed to 375mm, 13,OOOcp electric lens lanterns-
193?: Almy water-tube boilers replaced original boilers-
1933: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon)-
1935: Fog signal synchronized with radiobeacon-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1951: Retained original steam power plant until decommissioned-
Radio and visual call sign NNGW (1940-1951)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 92 / WAL 516
1909-1951: Relief (West Coast)


(1942-1945: during WWII assigned to 13th district, stationed at Seattle (WA) amd continued in service as Relief lightship; no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 92 / WAL 516-
1908: Having been assigned duty on the West Coast, LV 92, in company with LV 88, LV 93 and 3 lighthouse tenders SEQUOIA, MANZANITA, and KUKUI departed from New York in convoy and made the voyage to San Francisco in 124 days-
1914: Jan 2, while relieving Umatilla Reef, parted chain during SE storm losing anchor and 95 fathoms chain; proceeded to Astoria. The assigned vessel LV 67 was enroute at the time and took station Jan 5


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1951; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Jun 28, 1951; sold Dec 7, 1954; hulk
reported to have been seen at Tacoma (WA) in 1956

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 92 / WAL 516
1913-?: W J Kenney, Master
1937-?: Ludwig Larson, Master

1930-1942: LV-113 / WAL-535

YEAR BUILT: 1929

BUILT AT: Portland (OR)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER; Albina Marine Works

CONTRACT PRICE: $228,121

SISTER VESSELS: LV 100, 114, 115, 116, 117

DESIGN: Diesel-electric propelled; steel hull, steel deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galleries; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 133' 3" (loa); BEAM: 30' 0"; DRAFT: 13' 3'; TONNAGE: 630 disp

PROPULSION: Diesel-electric - one 350 HP electric motor driven by any or all of four 75 KW Diesel engine/generator units; 350 SHP @ 350 RPM; max speed 10 knots, average 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead, 15,000cp

FOG SIGNAL: Air diaphone using 4-way multiple horn; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 113-
1929: Launched Jul 1, equipped with radio and radiobeacon when fitted out-
1935: Fog signal synchronized with radiobeacon for distance finding-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
Radio and visual call sign NMJA (1940-1968)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 113 / WAL 535
1930-1942: Swiftsure Bank (WA)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1961: Swiftsure Bank (WA)
1961: Umatilla Reef (WA)
1961-1968: Relief (WA)

(1942-1945: during WWII, withdrawn from Swiftsure station and assigned to ALASKASEAFRON as examination vessel stationed at Ketchikan (AK); armed with one 1-pounder. Classed as a "YN" - net tender, during this period)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 113 / WAL 535-
1930: Jul 13, assisted disabled purse seiner Tiger by repairing and replacing broken clutch

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1968; AGE: 38

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Oct 1, 1968: donated to Sea Scouts; returned to USCG; later sold for scrap. 1982 sunk at shipyard in Willainette River, Portland OR. Raised, sold, and used at Newport OP as floating restaurant 1983-1987.
Sold 1988, sunk Jun 16 in 590 feet while being towed to Ketchikan AK

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 113 / WAL 535

1930-?: Eric Lindman, Master
1961-1963: CWO Herman Schmidt, CO
1964-1965 (?): CWO Chitwood, CO
CWO-4 (ENG) Stanley Bibby

1967-1968: CWO2 (BOSN) William Herrell, CO  (CWO William Herrell's tenure was from August 1967 through her decommissioning in October of 1968; he retired as a LCDR).

1942-1945: marked by a buoy during World War II

1945-1961: LV-113 / WAL-535

Please see above. Thank You!

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.