1929-1954

Location & historical notes: Florida, easterly from Jacksonville about five miles offshore, marking the approach for enetering the St Johns River, 6.5 miles and 092 degrees from the Mayport Tower.

 

Lightships assigned:

1929-1954: LV-84 / WAL-509 (The only lightship to occupy this station.)

YEAR BUILT: 1907

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $115,000

CONTRACT PRICE: $99,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 85,86,87,88

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilot house and deckhouses, 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'S" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 683 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 32S IHP; 2 boilers 9'3" dia x 16'4" long; propeller 7'9" dia; design max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail initially

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 84-
1907: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1918: Equipped with radio-
1920: Illuminant converted from oil to acetylene-
1929: Equipped with radiobeacon electric lens lanterns installed-
1934: Repowered; Atlas Imperial 375 HP Diesel main engine; 5' dia 4 blade prop-
1935: Fog signal changed to air diaphragm horn; radio beacon synchronized with
fog signal-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1960: USCG lists the vessel with two 375mm 13,OOOcp lens lanterns, Bendix MR3
radar; other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGG (1940-1965)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 84
1907-1929: Brunswick (GA)

St. Johns LS passing by, the CO of the Relief Rumel Ch Bosn is shown with his back to camera


1929-1954: St Johns River (FL)


1954-1960: Relief (6th District)
1960-1965: Relief (3d District)

(Brunswick station discontinued 1929)


(1942-1945: During WWII remained on St Johns River station; no armament provided)

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1965 AGE: 58

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Oct 26, 1965; donated Aug 7, 1968 then
used by Harry Lundeburg School, Seafarers Int'l Union, Piney Point MD; named
Big Red; 1987 sold and towed to Yonkers NY to be used as floating restaurant.
Original compartments and interior no longer intact. From there it was towed to the Intrepid Seaport Museum in New York City with the intention of rebuilding the ship. When a better Lightship came along for their use she was un-ceremonially towed to her present location and abandoned.

WHAT'S NEW ON THE WEB SITE ?>>>>>>>>
COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 84 / WAL 509

?-1916: George Larsen, Mate
1916-1917: J W Fullwood, Mate
1917-1918: Joseph P Francis, Mate
1918-1919: William Wurthman, Mate
1920-?: Joseph P Francis, Mate
?-1924: Henrik Henrikson, Master
1924-1927: Hans Mathisen, Master
?-1929: Henry Ulrich, Mate
1927-1929: John A Jansson, Master

1936: Timothy A Hurley, Mate
1936-1937: William C Maynardi, Mate
1937-?: Oscar D Nelson, Master
1960: WO A J Brovey, OIC

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 02/05/08.