1868-1962

Location & historical notes: New Jersey, established in 1868 to mark the wreck of the SS Scotland.  The wreck was removed in 1870 and the station was discontinued.  Shipping interests considered the station necessary and therefore it was reestablished in 1874.  Moored 3.2 miles and 103 degrees from the Sandy Hook Lighthouse and about 4 1/2 miles westerly from the Ambrose lightship.  Used as a reference mark primarily by north-south coastwise traffic using the Sand Hook and Ambrose channels in the approaches to New York Bay.  The Scotland radio-beacon was said to have been widely used by commercial aircraft making an approach to Idlewild/JFK airport.  The station was replaced by the Scotland Lighted Horn Buoy "S," which was 0.4 miles and 143 degrees from the final lightship station, and was equipped with RACON and passing light.

Station was named "Wreck of Scotland" from 1868 through 1891 and was then renamed "Scotland."

Lightships assigned:

1868-1870: LV-20

YEAR BUILT: 1867

BUILT AT: Greenpoint, LI. (NY)

BUILDER: W. H. Hathorn

APPROPRIATION: None

CONTRACT PRICE: $25,040
(Used funds already appropriated for a Hen & Chickens light vessel)

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - live oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts; daymarks on both

LENGTH: 81'6" (lbp), BEAM: 216", DRAFT: 10'6", TONNAGE: 165 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps, Funck type

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 20-

1878: Declared "rotten" and in need of rebuild-
1880: Rebuilt-
1881: Lamps converted to kerosene operation-
1895: Jan, extensive repairs-
1918: Mainmast removed; equipped with single acetylene lens lantern-
1920: Equipped with radio


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 20
1867-1868: Relief (4th District)
1868-1870: Wreck of Scotland (NJ)
1870-1876: Relief (NY)
1876-1880: Wreck of Scotland (NJ)
1880-1886: Relief (NY)
1886: Wreck of Oregon (NY)
1886-1918: Relief (CT)
1918-1922: Cross Rip (MA)
1923: Relief (laid up)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 20-
1867: Nov 26, Relief duty at Cross Ledge (DE)-
1868: Mar, Transferred from 4th to 3d District-
1868: Apr 15, Placed on Wreck of Scotland (NJ) per Joint Resolution of Congress-
1870: Withdrawn (approved by Congress) when wreck no longer a hazard-
1870: Assigned Relief duty, based at Staten Island (NY)-
1876: Reassigned to former Wreck of Scotland position-
1880: Reverted to Relief status after extensive and lengthy overhaul-
1886: Apr 10„Nov 1, placed at Wreck of Oregon site, of f Fire Island (NY)-
1888: Involved in collision, unspecified-
1894: Boats stove in, stem twisted after collisions with 3 sailing vessels-
1894: Nov 17, broke adrift while relieving Cornfield Pt (CT), put into New
London for 4 days-
1900: Jun 23,"injured" by collision with barge under tow-
1903: Only kept "for relieving vessels not equipped with steam fog signal nor
flashing or occulting lights"-
1905: Jul 27-Sep 15 relieved Fenwick Island Shoal (DE), returned to New London-
1919: Mar, transferred to 2d District and placed on Cross Rip


More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1923 AGE: 56

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold 1923. Said to have been used later as warehouse by
rumrunners during Prohibition. Still later, grounded and abandoned at Plymouth
(MA). Was later burned as Jul 4 bonfire


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 20

1895-?: Nicolas Nelson, Master

1918: John Kinney, Mate
1918-1921: William Kelley, Mate
1921: Francis Begley, Mate
1921-1923: Joseph Baxter, Master
1921-1922: Frank W Losinski, Mate
1923: Walter B Werner, Mate

1870-1874: station was discontinued

1874-1876: LV-23

YEAR BUILT: 1857

BUILT AT: Dorchester County (MD)

BUILDER: Unknown

APPROPRIATION: None

CONTRACT PRICE: $7,500 (repairs to former brig) (Used current operating funds of Lighthouse Establishment)

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood- oak & yellow pine, 10 iron knees on each side; bowsprit; 2 masts, daymarks at both mastheads - (Documented as the schooner A.J.W. APPLEGARTH, acquired by the US in 1862 and converted for use as lightship)

LENGTH: 94'6" (lbp), BEAM: 24'11, DRAFT: 96",TONNAGE: 186 gross, (203 tons as built)

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig, fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 667 lb bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 23-

1862: Ex-schooner converted to lightship use- $7,500 for wages and materials-
1873: "Thoroughly repaired and refitted" at Norfolk VA. - $1,800-
1874: General overhaul-$5,437, prior to transfer to 3d District-
1876: Hauled and recaulked-
1880: Hauled at Greenport (NY), stern repaired, planking replaced, recaulked,
running rigging replaced-
1882: Rebuilt - $12,281.04-
1895: May 15-Jun 14, repair and refit-
1901: Jun-Aug, fitted with new masts and spars, sheathing repaired-
1918: Equipped with 10" air fog whistle and associated machinery-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued Aug 19, same year-
1923: Fog signal changed back to bell, illuminant changed to acetylene

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 23
1862-1868: Smith Point (VA)
1868-1872: Willoughby Spit (VA)
1872-1874: Relief (VA)
1874-1876: Wreck of Scotland (NJ)
1876-1882: Relief (3d District)
1882-1892: Cornfield Point (CT)
1892-1894: Relief (CT)
1894-1925: Ram Island Reef (CT)

(Ram Island Reef station discontinued Apr 4, 1925; replaced with lighted bell buoy - light operated by acetylene; bell mechanically operated by carbon dioxide gas)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 23 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Smith Point")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 23-

1862: Mar, placed on Smith Point (VA) replacing vessel sunk by "insurgents";
"a competent military guard has been detailed for duty" aboard the lightship-
1867: Jan 19, caught in moving ice, slipped chain and drifted for 2 days; towed
to Great Wicomico (VA); returned to station Feb 23-
1868: Withdrawn when Smith Point Lighthouse completed-
1868: Placed on Willoughby Spit (VA)-
1872: Withdrawn when Thimble Shoal Lighthouse completed. Reported as "the only
lightship in the 5th District"-
1874: Sep 10, Placed on Wreck of Scotland (NJ)-
1876: "now at Staten Island (NY)"; "is used for a Relief vessel"-
1878: "now at New London (CT) as a Relief-ship"-
1882: Sep 6, placed on Cornfield Point (CT)-
1889: Appropriation requested for replacement vessel; $70,000 approved 1890-
1891: Mar 19, in collision with scow under tow; withdrawn and returned May 27-
1892: Dec 15, replaced by new LV 51; LV 23 assigned Relief duty-
1894: Dec 8, placed on Rain Island Reef (CT)-
1904: Feb 23-26, withdrawn to avoid moving ice fields-
1925: Apr 4, Ram Island Reef station discontinued and replaced with LEE

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1925 AGE: 68
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Annual Report FY 1924-25 states "surveyed and condemned, to be sold". No later reference to the vessel was found.

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 23

1896 (2 mo.): Wainwright B Cummings, Mate

?-1913: John S Gunderson, Mate
1913: Hugh Donovan, Mate
1913-1914: N D Hooper, Mate
1914-1917: James Quirk Mate
1917-1921: John Holmes, Mate
1921-1923: Arthur Daunt, Mate
1923: Christofore Lasdine, Mate
1923-1924: Alfred M Haynes, Mate

1876-1880: LV-20

See Above, and Thank You for visiting !

1881-1902: LV-7

YEAR BUILT: 1854

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

APPROPRIATION: $22000
(Approp. for lightship for Minots Ledge (MA)

CONTRACT PRICE: $18,304

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood- live oak and hard pine; copper and iron fastened; 2 masts with oval day marks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 98'S" (lbp)

BEAM: 22'S" DRAFT: 100" TONNAGE: 142 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns each having 8 oil lamps w/12" reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 500 lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 7-
1854: Oct 16 Notice to Mariners initially painted cream color w/black letters, mastheads white w/red day marks, shows 2 lights 416" above sea level-
Extensive repairs 1866, 1871, 1874-
1866 & 1869:hauled both years for repair of rot involving hull and spars-
1879/80: "now at Gildersleeve & Sons shipyard (CT), slow progress on repairs"-
1894, Aug 7-31: withdrawn for installation of experimental telephone equipment. Telephone cable installed from Sandy Hook to within "a few hundred feet of the lightship mooring", Feb 23. Experiments with signaling and alarm devices continued until July 31, 1895 and "were then suspended". No indication that this system was ever put to any operational use.-
Repair of leaks 1896 Aug 16-Nov 30; and again 1899 Aug 23-Oct 19-
1905: Jul 15-Sep 30, collision damage repaired at Portsmouth (VA)-
1906: Sep 9, taken to Baltimore (MD) for "extensive repairs"

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 7

1854-1860: Minots Ledge (MA)
1861-1875: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1875-1876: Relief (MA)
1876-1881: Relief (Third District)
1881-1902: Wreck of Scotland/Scotland (NJ)
1902-1904: Relief (NY)
1904-1909: Relief (Fifth District)

(1877-1881 In shipyard undergoing repairs during most of this period)
(1891 May 15, station moved 1/2 mi NE 3/4 N and renamed Scotland)
(Official records identify this vessel as "Minots Ledge Light Vessel" until
1861. When placed on Vineyard Sound in 1861, vessel was designated
"Lightship 7" and this number remained assigned thereafter)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 7-

(When Minots Ledge Light iron skeleton tower was destroyed in 1851,
a lightship station was established in the vicinity. Lightship "N" manned
the station from 1851-1854 then replaced by LV 7)-
1854: Nov 3, placed on Minots Ledge station, replacing of lightship "N"-
1860: Nov 15, withdrawn when new (present) granite lighthouse activated-
1861: Feb 27, Placed on Vineyard Sound (MA)-
1866: Jun 18, driven from station, proceeded to New Bedford-
1866: Aug 28, fouled by lumber schooner; lightship severely damaged-
1866: Dec, Dragged off station in gale-
1874: Carried off station by moving ice once during winter-
1875: Oct 30, parted chain, arrived at New Bedford next day; held for repair
and assigned as Relief (MA) (Replaced on station Nov 16 by LV 39)-
1867: Transferred to 3d District as Relief; relieved Five Fathom Bank (NJ),
then brought in for overhaul-
1877: "Is now at Staten Island as Relief; "in poor condition due to
extensive rot"; repair costs estimated at $18,000-
1879/1880: Under repair; "progress slower than anticipated"-
1881: Placed on Wreck of Scotland (NJ) replacing LV 20

More notes: LV 7-
1887: Mar, parted chain and adrift; returned to station next day-
1892: Dec 29, in collision with Italian bark CHIARINA being towed-
1894: Feb 23 -Jul 31, 1895, experiments conducted with telephone cable
installed between Sandy Hook and the lightship. (see Construction Notes)-
1900: In collision with British schooner GOLDSEEKER-
1902: "Now shows 2 fixed red lights"-
1904: Oct 23, transferred to 5th District and assigned as Relief (VA)-
1905: In collision with tug EDGAR F CONEY-
Remained in Relief status until retired

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1909 AGE: 55

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold May 29, 1909 - $155


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 7-
During the period 1854-1860
Capt Henry Studley, Cohasset (MA)
Capt Joseph Battles, Cohasset (MA)
Capt John Litchfield, Scituate (MA)

1892-1896: Nelson J Huntley, Master
1896-1902: Henry Harrison, Master

1902-1925: LV-11

YEAR BUILT: 1853

BUILT AT: Baltimore (MD)

BUILDER: Tardy & Auld

APPROPRIATION: $15,000

CONTRACT PRICE: $13,462 (Approp. for a lightship "for Nantucket Shoals") SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood- white oak; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts with day marks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 104'0" (lbp) BEAM: 24'8" DRAFT: 910" TONNAGE: 320 gross

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig; fore and main carried on Spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 Lanterns, each having 8 constant level oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 1050 lb bell, plus "horn and gong"

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 11-
1855: Rebuilt at New York Navy Yard $11,000 after being blown ashore-
1856: Lamps fitted with reflectors-
1865: Repairs after being driven on rocks; new false keel, part of main keel and bottom planks replaced, forefoot and rudder repaired re caulked and coppered, both masts repaired -$8,000-
1870: Standing rigging replaced with iron wire -$1,040-
1876: Rebuilt and re rigged, "frame and planking decayed" -$21,620.76-
1891 and 1905: repairs for collision damage-
1912: Illuminant changed from oil to oil-gas-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1922-
1920: Lanterns, lantern houses and spencer masts removed; equipped with lens lanterns capable of using either oil or acetylene

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV11
1854-1855: Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)
1856-1897: Brenton Reef (RI)
1897-1902: Relief (3dDistrict)
1902-1925: Scotland (NJ)

(1901: Jul 3-Dec19, sent to 4th District for "temporary service as Relief ")
(Prior to 1867 when No.11 was assigned, official records identify this vessel by the name of the station on which it was serving)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 11-
1854: Jun 15, placed on Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)-(lst Nantucket lightship)-
1855: Feb, broke adrift and blown ashore at Montauk NY, salvaged & repaired-
1856: Placed on Brenton Reef (RI)-
1865: Oct 19, parted chain and blown ashore on rocks during westerly gale,
reported "badly injured"-
1890: Nov 26, in collision with British steamer CURLEW-
1891: Nov 23, fog bell characteristic changed to ring 10 sec, silent 30 sec-
1897: Nov 4, Withdrawn (replaced by LV 39) and transferred to 3d District as
Re 1 i e f-
1901: Jun 30, towed to 4th District for "temporary service as Relief"-
1901: Dec 19, returned to 3d District, still in Relief status-
1902: Dec 2, placed on Scotland (NJ)-
1903: Mar 10, in collision with schooner-
1905: Mar 14,Apr 12,May 29, in collision with scows under tow-
1912: Apr 10, in collision with mud scows under tow

More notes: LV 11-

1925: Oct 30, when removed from Scotland station, was reported to be the oldest vessel (72 years) in the Lighthouse Service and possibly the oldest vessel in any US Government agency at that time

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1925 AGE: 72

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: LV 11-
Sold 1927?

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 11

1854-1855: Samuel D Bunker, Keeper
1886-1888: David H Caulkins, Keeper
1888-1893: Edward Fogarty, Keeper
1893-1898: Edward Fogarty, Master
1905-?: Thor Olsen, Mate
1916-1918: Emil C Ness, Mate
?-1916: John N Veseth, Mate
?-1917: Ernest W Borgstrom, Master
1918-1919: Uno Taplo, Mate
1918-1920: John Anderson, Mate
1920-1925: John N Veseth, Mate

1925-1936: LV-69

Walk the DOG and go look at a picture of the Lightship HERE.

YEAR BUILT: 1897

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

APPROPRIATION: $200,000
(Used 1889 appropriation for building a lighthouse on Outer Diamond Shoal)

CONTRACT PRICE: $79,500

SISTER VESSELS: LV 68

DESIGN: Steam screw -composite hull (steel frame with wood bottom and steel plated topsides); 2 masts with lantern galleries: stack amidships

LENGTH: 122'l0" (loa); BEAM: 29'6"; DRAFT: 13'6" (depth); TONNAGE: 590 displ.

PROPULSION: Steam „ one single cylinder surface condensing engine, 22" bore x 20" stroke, 350 IHP; coal fired main boiler 113" dia x 122" long; 4 bladed propeller 8' dia; max speed 8 1/2 knots; also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of three 100cp electric lens lanterns permanently mounted in gallery at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated 1000 lb bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 69-
Steel stem, keel, framing, and bilge strake with diagonal steel bracing keel
to sheer; wood planked from keel to main deck level; steel plated from main
deck level to weather deck-
1897: Jun 17, launched-
1897: Equipped with special submersible mooring buoy to relieve strain on chain-
1907: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1919: Equipped with radio-
1920: Original electric illuminating apparatus replaced with single acetylene
lens lantern at each masthead-
1932: Equipped with radio-beacon

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 69
1897-1901: Diamond Shoal (NC)**
1901-1925: Overfalls (DE)
1925-1936: Scotland (NJ)

**(1898 May 3-Sep 18, temporary duty as lighthouse tender during Spanish American War.  LV 71 marked the Diamond Shoal station during this period)
(During the period 1898-1901, LV 69 and LV 71 alternately relieved each other on the Diamond Shoal station)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 69-
An appropriation of $200,000 was made Mar 2, 1889 for construction of a lighthouse on Outer Diamond Shoal off Cape Hatteras. Preliminary efforts were unsuccessful and the appropriation was later used in part to construct LV 69-

1897: Aug, delivered by contractor to Staten Island Depot; fitted out & supplied then towed to Portsmouth VA Sep 26 to received special mooring buoy; towed to Diamond station and positioned by tender MAPLE about midnight Sep 29; activated lights at 0200 Sep 30 - 14 5/8 mi. SE 3/8 E from Cape Hatteras Light-
Special mooring arrangement described as having the chain led thru center of a cubical mooring buoy at 45 fathoms, which when drawn under water would relieve the anchor from direct strain by the vessel. Found unsatisfactory Feb 26, 1898 when chain chafed thru hawsepipe of buoy which then sank; replaced with 1st Class can buoy shackled on at 45 fathoms but caused problems with vessel fouling chain and buoy. Spherical buoy then proposed and designed „ no results recorded-
1898: Construction defects discovered-deck leaks making quarters unusable; donkey boilers improperly insulated and unusable due to fire hazard, and not adequate to power the fog signal; electric plant inadequate-
1898: Mar 9, relieved (by LV 71) for examination & repair; 3878 vessels recorded as passing the station since LV 69 arrived

More notes: LV 69-
1898: May 23-Sep 18, served as lighthouse tender during Spanish American War (when tender MAPLE taken by Navy), steaming 3,400 miles in the process; Sep 18, towed to Baltimore for overhaul; replaced on Diamond Shoal Nov 24-
1899: Jan 6, dragged off station in gales Jan 6-12, Feb 1, Feb 14, Apr 4 Apr 10 During the year 5, 146 vessels passed the station-
1899: During a hurricane commencing Aug 1.5, and with engine full ahead during most of the period, vessel driven ashore near Creeds Hill Lifesaving Station NC Aug 18; All hands landed by lifesaving crew; Sep 23, refloated and repaired in Baltimore; extensive repairs to underwater planking, boilers & machinery 1900 Sep 2, resumed station, replacing LV 71 placed there after hurricane-
1901: Feb 17, withdrawn & replaced by LV 72; transferred to 4th District and hauled for repair at Portsmouth VA-
1901: Mar 1, placed on Overfalls (DE) replacing LV 46
1904: Carried off station or withdrawn due to moving ice Feb 17-29 and Feb 11-26-
1901 thru 1906: relieved periodically (by LV 72 & 78) for repairs-
1907: Jan 15, submarine bell signal placed in operation-
1916: Jun-Dec, withdrawn; replanked and recoppered; new tankage installed; machinery overhauled - $23,876.22-
1925: Transferred to 3d District and placed on Scotland (NJ), remained assigned there until 1936

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1937? AGE: 40

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: ??

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 69

1897- 1898: August E Mom, Master
1898: Frederick H Sparling, Master
1898-1899: August E Blom, Master
1900-1901: Joseph Connor, Master
1901-?: Samuel S Baxter, Master
?-1914: Alfred Johansen, Mate
1914: James McAuley, Mate
1914-1918: Frank Tilghman, Mate
1918-1924: Andrew J Tarr, Mate
1919-1924: Alfred Johansen, Master
1921-1923: Frank Tilghman, Mate
1924-?: Andrew J Tarr, Master
1925-1927: Frank J Wynn, Mate
1927: Timothy F Lane, Mate
1927: John A Veseth, Mate
1936-1937: Kolb Skari, Mate
1937-?: Ralph S Logan, Master

1936-1942: LV-87 / WAL-512

YEAR BUILT: 1907

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $115,000

CONTRACT PRICE: $99,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 84,85,86,88

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilothouse and deckhouses; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'O"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 683 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 325 IHP; 2 boilers 9'3" dia x 16'4" long; propeller 7'9" dia; design max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail initially

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 87-
1908/09: Oil lens lanterns replaced with electric incandescent-
Converted from incandescent to arc lights several times during the period 1909-1922; incandescent thereafter; two 375mm lens lanterns of 15,OOOcp-
1918: Equipped with radio-
1921: May, radio beacon installed; first radio beacon in the US, however Fire Island lightship and Sea Girt Light were similarly equipped and placed in operation about the same time-
1924: Equipped with vacuum tube radio beacon; first such transmitter to be used in the US-
1932/33: Taken out of service Oct 10, 1932 for extensive overhaul and refitting; re powered with 300 HP Winton diesel, 5' dia propeller; fog signal to air typhon plus 10" air whistle; all steam auxiliary equipment replaced with diesel-
1934: Fog signal changed to air diaphone; 10" whistle retained (Call sign NI'∂GI-
1958: USCG shows 4 way diaphragm horn, TRSC-l radar, J-894 Loran. 1940-1966)
 

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 87/ WAL 512
1908-1932: Ambrose Channel (NY)
1932-1936: Relief (NY)
1936-1942: Scotland (NJ)
1942-1944: Examination Vessel, WWII
1944-1947: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1947-1962: Scotland (NJ)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 87 / WAL 512-
1927: Feb 21, dragged 1/2 mi westerly from station in NE gale; replaced on station next day.

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1966; AGE: 59

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Mar 4, 1966; donated Aug 4, 1968 for use as floating exhibit at South Street Seaport, New York City

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 87 / WAL 512

1908-1932: Gustave Lange, Master
1908-1914: Sidney Ellis, Mate
1914: Frank Tilghman, Mate
1914-1915: Clark Smith, Mate
1915-1918: Paul E F Overbeck, Mate
1918-?: Emil C Ness, Mate
1939-?: John Kruszewski, Master
1950-1951: BMC Theodore Kosowski, OIC
1958: BMC Carrol D Nichols, OIC
1966: BMC John T Taylor, OIC

1942-1945: marked by a buoy during World War II

1945-1947: LV-78 / WAL-505

1947-1962: LV-87 / WAL-512

Please see information above. Thank You.!

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright © 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.