1922-1964

Location & historical notes: Georgia, positioned off the entrance to the Savannah River, 10.5 miles and 117 degrees from the Tybee Light.  

In 1922, the Martins Industry Station was discontinued, with the lightship being moved to establish the Savannah Station concurrently.

Lightships assigned:

1922-1930: LV-1

YEAR BUILT: 1855

BUILT AT: Kittery (ME)

APPROPRIATION: $30, 000

BUILDER: Navy Yard

CONTRACT PRICE: $48,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white & live oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts; oval day marks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 103'0" (lbp) BEAM: 24'0" DRAFT: 12'6" TONNAGE: 228 displ,275 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps & reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 1-
1860: Rebuilt-
1881: Main anchor replaced with mushroom (apparently one having a stock)-
1883: Mooring methods evaluated by Lighthouse Board. All alternatives found unfeasible due to strong rotary currents in the area, and structure of ship unable to sustain additional chain loading-
1886: Lighthouse Board authorized casting an "ordinary" (stockless) mushroom anchor. With this, station was maintained throughout winter-
1892: Boiler, steam pump, steam windlass, 12" steam fog whistle installed-
1895: Rebuilt, also rebuilt again in 1902-
1910: Submarine bell signal installed-
1915: Steam fog signal replaced with oil engine, compressor, and air siren-
1919: Equipped with radio, discontinued 1923-
1925: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene; light from fixed to flashing


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 1
1856-1892: Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)
1892-1896: Martins Industry (SC)
1896-1911: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1911-1922: Martins industry (SC)
l922-193O: Savannah (GA)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 1 was assigned, official records identify this vessel "Nantucket" or "Nantucket Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 1-
1856: Jan, placed on Nantucket New South Shoal station-During heavy gales, parted chain and went adrift 12 times while on Nantucket
station, being off station for periods up to 20 days before working back under sail or being towed. (records are incomplete during 1856-1865)-
1883: Slipped chain and worked under sail to avoid foundering during storm-
1887: Picked up crew of foundered British steamer CALEDONIA. Accommodated for 12 days until taken off by tender-
1891: Lighthouse Board requested $70,000 appropriation for a "proper" lightship to be steam propelled and equipped with steam fog signal - approved in 1892-
1892: Jun 14, relieved by LV 9, refitted and towed to Charleston (SC) by AZALEA-
1892: Nov 14, placed on Martins Industry (SC) after transfer to Charleston-
1894: Parted chain and adrift twice during hurricanes, boats and davits carried away both times-
1896: Nov 11, placed on Frying Pan Shoal (NC)-
1896-1907: broke adrift on 5 occasions during the period-
1911: Placed on Martine Industry (SC) until station discontinued in 1922

More notes:-
1915: Steam fog signal machinery replaced with oil engine and compressor; the reduced weight was reported to improve stability, buoyancy and handling-
1922: Placed on Savannah (GA); withdrawn 1930

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1930 AGE: 75

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Donated 1930, towed to Haverhill MA for Sea Scout use. Later taken over by Groveton MA Sea Scouts; moved vicinity of Groveton Bridge over Merrimac River. Carried downriver in 1936 flood, going aground on north bank opposite Henderson Farm. Stripped and abandoned; hull still remains 1986

1930-1954: LV-94 / WAL-518

YEAR BUILT: 1911

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION:?

CONTRACT PRICE: $104,604

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilot/chart house forward, wood radio house aft; 2'6" dia lantern mast forward, conventional mast aft (unlighted; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'9" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 660 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 380 IHP max; 2 Scotch boilers i0'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; 4 bladed propeller 8'0" dia; during trials made 9.9 knots - also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 6'6" dia lantern housing a 4th order lens carried on a compound pendulum mounted in gimbals; 2900 cp IOV lamp, 68' above water level

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; submarine bell; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 94-
When built, reported as the "most highly developed" lightship in the fleet-
1911: Equipped with radio and submarine bell when placed in service-
1920: Incandescent Oil Vapor illuminant changed to acetylene-
1928: Equipped with radio beacon
1930: Illuminating apparatus changed to duplex 375mm electric lens lantern on
foremast, 13,200cp; fog signal changed to air siren-
1932: Fog signal changed back to steam whistle-
1933: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1936: Re powered with Atlas Imperial 375 HF main engine, 6'4" propeller-
1945: Fitted with detection radar, later removed-
1948: USCG lists vessel with triplex air diaphragm horn; other characteristics
in line with above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGM (1940-1954)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 94 / WAL 518
1911-1930: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1930-1954: Savannah (GA)

(1930 Jul 16, Frying Pan position moved 14 mi SE to extremity of 10 fathom curve)


(1942-1945 During WWII remained assigned to Savannah station; no armament provided)


HISTORICAL NOTES; LV 94 / WAL 518-
1913: Apr 10, parted chain and drifted; steering gear disabled; picked up and towed to Southport NC by SS GENERAL GETTY; returned to station Apr 12-
1915: Apr 2, during severe storm, parted chain and drifted SE; let go spare anchor but dragged; throughout night, made periodic radio broadcasts that ship was off station; next day hoisted "QE" flag signal (lightship off station) and attempted to steam to station but unable to make headway so anchored; when storm abated, regained station Apr 4-
1911: Meteorological equipment supplied by arrangement with USN and Weather Bureau for reporting weather observations twice daily by radio

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1954; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Dec 15, 1954; sold Nov 16, 1955


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 94 / WAL 518
1919-1921: Joseph P Francis, Mate
1921-1924: Frank C Girardeau, Mate
1924: Chester H Taylor, Mate
1924-1925: Oscar D Nelson, Mate
1925-1927: Hugh 0 Wiggins, Mate
1927-1928: Chester H Taylor, Mate
1927-?: Hugh 0 Wiggins, Master
1928-1929: Andrew J Pollard, Mate

1936-1937: Oscar D Nelson, Mate
1939: Thomas B Christiansen, Master
1939-?: Gavin L Field, Master

1954-1964: LV-109 / WAL-531

YEAR BUILT: 1923

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

CONTRACT PRICE: $200,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 106,107,108,110,111

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; steel pilot house and deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galLeries, smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 132'4" (loa); BEAM: 30' 0"; DRAFT: 14'7"; TONNAGE: 715 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - compound reciprocating engine, 400 IHP; 2 oil fired Scotch marine boilers, 120 psi; 4 bladed propeller; max speed 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; submarine bell, hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & iMPROVEMENTS: LV 109-
1923 Aug 16, launched at Bath (ME); christened by Miss Elizabeth Davies of
Portland-
1923 Nov 10, delivered-
1923 Equipped with radio when built-
1929 Equipped with radio beacon-
1935 Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1945 Fitted with detection radar-
195? Re powered with GM Bcyl diesel, 500hp, 4'9" dia propeller, max speed 8 kts-
1960 USCG lists vessel with duplex 375mm lens lantern on foremast, l3,000cp;
air diaphone; Bendix MR-3 radar; other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NNGZ (1940-1966)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 109 / WAL 531
1924-1954: Relief (6th District)
1954-1964: Savannah (GA)
1965-1966: New Orleans (LA)


(1942-1945 during WW lI, continued to serve as Relief lightship stationed at
Charleston (SC); no armament provided)
(New Orleans station established Mar 13, 1965)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 109 / WAL 531-
1929: Oct 1/2, while relieving Frying Pan Shoal, rode out hurricane with minor damage, but decks continuously awash with boarding seas for 2 days

More notes:
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1966; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Dec 8, 1966; transferred to Agency for
International Development Feb 20, 1961, sold to Uraguay and served as Banco Ingles lightship for several years until retired in Uruguay

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 109/WAL 531

1923-?: Arnold Nielson, Master
1923-?: Harold T Brett, Mate
1960: CWO Cleo Hack, CO

1963: CHBOSN H. J. Griffin

CHBOSN R. L. Southern Feb 1964 to ?

 Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.