St. Johns LS passing by, the CO of the Relief Rumel Ch Bosn is shown with his back to camera

 

YEAR BUILT: 1908

BUILT AT: Quincy (MA)

BUILDER: Fore River Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $107,213

SISTER VESSELS: LV 90,91,93 (Built to same general plan as for LV 84-88)

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; wood deckhouses; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'7"; TONNAGE: 685 displ; 478 gross

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 400 IEP; 2 Scotch boilers 10'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; propeller 8'0" dia; design max speed 10 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead; focal plane 50' above water

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 92-
1909: Submarine bell signal installed-
1921: Equipped with radio-
1924: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1929: Illuminating apparatus changed to 375mm, 13,OOOcp electric lens lanterns-
193?: Almy water-tube boilers replaced original boilers-
1933: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon)-
1935: Fog signal synchronized with radiobeacon-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1951: Retained original steam power plant until decommissioned-
Radio and visual call sign NNGW (1940-1951)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 92 / WAL 516
1909-1951: Relief (West Coast)
(1942-1945: during WWII assigned to 13th district, stationed at Seattle (WA) and continued in service as Relief lightship; no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 92 / WAL 516-

From L to R LV 92 behind that  LV 93 and to the right LV 87. This picture was taken in Tompkinsville in 1920.


1908: Having been assigned duty on the West Coast, LV 92, in company with LV 88, LV 93 and 3 lighthouse tenders SEQUOIA, MANZANITA, and KUKUI departed from New York in convoy and made the voyage to San Francisco in 124 days-
1914: Jan 2, while relieving Umatilla Reef, parted chain during SE storm losing anchor and 95 fathoms chain; proceeded to Astoria. The assigned vessel LV 67 was enroute at the time and took station Jan 5

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1951; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Jun 28, 1951; sold Dec 7, 1954; hulk reported to have been seen at Tacoma (WA) in 1956

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 92 / WAL 516
1913-?: W J Kenney, Master
1937-?: Ludwig Larson, Master

Next page of pictures please.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.