1893-1929

Location & historical notes: Michigan, on northern Lake Huron, southeast of Bois Blanc Island in the entrance to the South Channel, Straights of Mackinac.  The station was replaced by Poe Reef Lighthouse.

Lightships assigned:

1893-1910: LV-62

YEAR BUILT: 1893

BUILT AT: Toledo (OH)

BUILDER: Craig Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $60,000
(Approp. for a lighthouse off Pt Peninsula (MI), used for "one or more" lightships)

CONTRACT PRICE: $13,990 ($41,970 for LV 60,61,62)

SISTER VESSELS: LV 59,60,61

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked, white oak fastened with iron bolts and spikes; foremast with Spencer, short after mast; stack amidships; fog signal ahead of stack; single large deckhouse; daymark on foremast

LENGTH: 87'2" (loa); BEAM: 21'6"; DRAFT: 8'0"

PROPULSION: None- riding sail carried on short after mast

TONNAGE: 160 displ-fresh water

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil burning lens lanterns hoisted to fore mast bead

FOG SIGNAL: 6" steam whistle; hand operated 800 lb brass bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 62-
Although essentially identical, LV 60,61, and 62 were built under a single contract with LV 59 built under separate contract-
1910 Equipped with submarine bell signal


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 62

1893-1910: Poe Reef (MI)
1911-1919: Bar Point Shoal

(Bar Point Shoal lies in Canadian waters, discontinued by the US in 1919, and responsibility for marking it thereafter was assumed by Canadian government)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 62-

1893: Sep 29, placed on Poe Reef (MI), SE of Bois Blank Island in entrance to South Channel, Straights of Mackinac. Red hull with white letters POE REEF; red daymark at fore masthead; showed single FW light from foremast; fog signal, 5 sec blast, 10 sec silent-
Typical of Great Lakes lightships, vessel was withdrawn during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation, usually early Dec through Mar/Apr each year. Necessary repairs were performed while in winter quarters. This vessel wintered at Cheboygan (MI) throughout her career-
1896: Reported in "fair condition, and not appropriate for so exposed a station"-
1897: The District proposed the vessel be removed and used for Relief duty, and also requested a $15,000 appropriation for a suitable replacement vessel. No action was taken by the Lighthouse Board-
1901: Towed by tender MARIGOLD from Cheboygan to Detroit at the opening of navigation; extensively repaired then towed to station Jul 10.-
Remained on Poe Reef station through 1910-
1911: Stationed on Bar Point Shoal, remaining until 1919 when the station was discontinued by the U.S.

More notes: LV 62-
1919: Responsibility for the Bar Point station was thereafter assumed by the Canadian Government who placed a Canadian lightship on the station-
LV 62: was laid up following the 1919 season and condemned in 1920

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1919; AGE: 26

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:
Sold at public auction, 11th District Hq, Aug 8, 1921 - $200

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 62
1895-?: Walter J McGuin, Master
?-1913: Thomas Quinlan, Mate
1913-1917: Richard Tobin, Mate
1917-1918: Robert Sawyer, Mate
1918: Arthur Harris, Mate (temp)
1918-1920: James McGuire, Mate
?-1920: Thomas H Ingersoll, Master

1911-1914: LV-59

YEAR BUILT: 1893

BU1LT AT: Toledo (OH)

BUILDER: Craig Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $25,000
(Approp. for a lightship for Bar Point (Ml) to replace privately owned vessel)

CONTRACT PRICE: $13,490

SISTER VESSELS: LV 60,61,62

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked, white oak fastened with 3/4" iron bolts; foremast with spencer; short after mast; stack amidships; fog signal ahead of stack; daymark on foremast; single large deckhouse; hull painted black initially

LENGTH: 87'2" (loa); BEAM: 216"; DRAFT: 8'0"; TONNAGE: 160 displ (fresh water)

PROPULSION: None-riding sail rigged on after mast

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil burning lens lanterns hoisted to foremasthead

FOG SIGNAL: 6" steam whistle

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 50
-Built under separate contract, but otherwise identical to LV 60, 61 and 62
-Repairs were made while the vessel was withdrawn during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation, usually Dec-Mar/Apr each year
-1907: Mar, submarine bell signal installed and placed in operation

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 59

1893-1910: Bar Point Shoal
1911-1914: Poe Reef (MI)

(Bar Point Shoal lies in Canadian waters near the mouth of the Detroit River, Lake Erie. It was marked by the US with permission of the Canadian Government)

HISTORICAL NOTES' LV 59
-1893: Sep 20, placed on Bar Point Shoal, mouth of Detroit River, Lake Erie;
black hull, white lettering; fog signal 10 sec blast, :30 sec silent; 1 FW light
-1893: Dec 6 withdrawn for winter to Detroit Lighthouse Depot
-Typical of Great Lakes lightships, the vessel. was withdrawn from station during
the period the Lakes were closed to navigation, usually early December through
March or April - Necessary repairs and refitting were performed during winter
-1898: Dec 11, carried off station by moving ice, drifting in western end of Lake
Erie for 10 days, when picked up and towed to Detroit Dec 21
-1899: Smokestack replaced
-1900: Boiler repairs
-1902: Under repair at opening of navigation; station marked by lighted buoy
until Apr 29 when lightship took station
-1906: Oct 17, damaged in collision with barge under tow
-1907: Mar, equipped with submarine bell signal
-1911: Mar/Apr, transferred and placed on Poe Reef (MI) in Lake Huron
-1914: Surveyed Sep/Oct, rated unseaworthy and condemned

More notes:

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1914; AGE: 21

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Oct 1, 1914 sold at public auction - $314
Said to have been later registered as tug LEATHEM D SMITH

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 59

1894-1897: Thomas Cooney, Master
1897-1902: William Wybrands Master
1902-?: Edwin J Wilkinson, Master

?-1914: Martin Tellefson, Mate
1914: Ernest LeBahn, Mate
?-1914: G J Navarre, Master

1915-1920: LV-96 / WAL-520

YEAR BUILT: 1914

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION: $75,000
(Approp. Mar 4, 1911)

CONTRACT PRICE: $71,292

SISTER VESSELS: LV 98 / WAL 521

DESIGN: Non-Propelling; steel whaleback hull; large diameter tubular lantern mast amidships; steel pilot/chart house forward

LENGTH: 10l'6" (loa); BEAM: 23'6"; DRAFT: 113"; TONNAGE: 170 displ, fresh water

PROPULSION: None provided, however was fitted with stern tube for future use

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Large cylindrical lantern housing with electric lamp and revolving parabolic reflector giving l000cp flash 42 ft above water

FOG SIGNAL: 6" air siren, submarine bell, hand operated bell; siren supplied by two 3 cylinder compressors driven by kerosene engines

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 96-

When built, fitted with 2 kerosene engine generator sets and storage batteries-
1925: Equipped with radio, discontinued 1927-
1925: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1932: Radiobeacon synchronized with fog signal for distance finding-
1933: Submarine bell discontinued-
1936: Diesel engine installed, 175 IHP, speed approx 5 knots-
1936: Cylindrical lantern housing removed; duplex 375mm electric lens lantern installed in masthead gallery, 17,000 c.p. each-
1944: Repowered with Cooper-Bessemer diesel 31SHP @ 800rpm, 5'6" dia 3-bladed propeller, max speed 10.2 knots; supplied with ABK radar, removed 1948-
1954: USCG lists vessel with air diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon); other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGN (1940-1954)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 96 / WAL 520
1914: Buffalo (NY)
1915-1920: Poe Reef (MI)
1921-1935: Lake Huron (MI)
1937-1954: Cross Rip (MA)

(1914: While awaiting assignment, was temporarily used to mark the Buffalo station following the sinking of LV 82 on Nov 10, 1913)


(1942-1945: During WWII, remained on Cross Rip station, no armament provided)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 96 / WAL 520-
1914: Oct 23, delivered by contractor; temporarily marked Buffalo station-
1915: Apr 24, placed on Poe Reef (MI), southern entrance to Straights of Mackinac, Lake Huron; red hull lettered "POE" in white, showing flashing white light-
As with all Great Lakes lightships, vessel was withdrawn from station during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation usually Nov/Dec through Mar/Apr each year. Necessary repairs were performed during the period the vessel was in winter quarters-
1934: Sep 20, low power proximity warning radiobeacon placed in service for test; providing a variable tone (warble) signal up to approximately 10 miles and operating 1 minute out of every 3 during the test. Vessels reported receiving the signal at 10-15 miles with noticeable increase in loudness as the lightship was approached

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1955; AGE: 41

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Jan 18, 1955; sold Jul 28, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICES: LV 96 / WAL 520

1914-1915: C J Navarre, Master
1915-1916: Conrad Christlansen, Master
1915-1916: William C Kane, Mate
1916-1911: Charles Bernier, Mate
1916-1921: Ernest LeBahn, Master
1921-?: Frank Leimbach, Master
1921-1925: Michael D Renehan, Mate
?-1939: Ernest L Snow, Master
1939-?: George F Harrison, Master
1948-1951: CWO Edward Andreason, CO
1951-1953: BMC Frank Masaschi, OTC
1953-1954: BM1 John Milstead, OIC
1954: BMC Leo F. Gracie, OIC

1921-1929: LV-99 / WAL-522

YEAR BUILT: 1920

BUILT AT: Boothbay Harbor (ME)

BUILDER: Rice Brothers

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $97,220

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; single tubular lantern mast with gallery, short jigger mast aft for riding sail; steel pilot house with bridge; smokestack with fog whistle

LENGTH: 91'8" (loa); BEAM: 22'0"; DRAFT: 10'7"; TONNAGE: 215 displ, fresh water

PROPULSION: Steam -. one single cylinder engine, 125 IHP

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single acetylene lens lantern

FOG SIGNAL: 10" steam whistle mounted on stack: hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 99-
1916: Jun 29, construction started but hull and other parts of vessel destroyed
by fire Jul 10 when 54% complete. New materials procured and vessel completely
rebuilt-
1919: Nov 7, launched: sea trials and conditional acceptance Nov 8/9-
1920: Dec 8, delivered by contractor-
1923: Equipped with submarine bell-
1930: Equipped with radiobeacon; illuminating apparatus electrified-
1931: Submarine bell discontinued-
Radio and visual call sign NNGI assigned 194.019??-
1949/50: At USCG Yard, Curtis Bay, Md, propulsion and auxiliary machinery, shaft and propeller removed; vessel than refitted and equipped for use as an unmanned light vessel with capability for being remote controlled by radio - designated EXP-99
(See listing for EXP 99 for further details)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 99 / WAL 522
1921-1929: Poe Reef (Ml)
1929-1935: Grays Reef (MI)
1937-1942: Overfalls (DE)  (Our thanks to William Camp for this information.)
1942-1943: Examination Vessel, WWII
1943-1950: (located at Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, ND)
1950: (Designated EXP-99, and moved to 3rd District
1950-1956: ?

Poe Reef station discontinued Aug 5, 1929
Grays Reef station discontinued 1936
1937 , Sept transferred to 2d District and towed to Boston
1942-1943: During WWII, assigned to 7th District, stationed at Port Everglades (FL). and used as examination vessel; armed with one 3" gun and two 20mm.
1943-1950: Arrived Curtis Bay Yard 29 Mar 1943 arid commencing in 1949 vessel was extensively modified for use as an experimental, radio controlled lightship designated EXP 99, later referred to as Sandy Hook Experimental Lightship EXP.  Plans for placing it near Scotland Lightship during 1950 were indefinitely postponed and the experimental vessel was apparently never used.

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 99 / WAL 522-
1921: May 18, LV 99 and LV 103 towed from Maine to St Lawrence River entrance by HIBISCUS; lightships then proceeded independently to Ogdensburg NY, met by CROCUS and convoyed to Detroit. LV 99 placed in commission at Detroit Jul 21-
1921: Jul, placed on Poe Reef station-
1929: Assigned to Grays Reef until station discontinued in 1936-
1937: Sep, transferred to 2nd District and towed by tender HIBISCUS from Milwaukee (WI) via St Lawrence River to Boston (Chelsea Depot)
1937-1942: Service on the Overfalls, DE, station. (Our thanks to William Camp for this information.)
WWII service as an Examination Vessel.  Standard Distribution Lists, photos and correspondence show that the vessel was at the Curtis Bay Yard 1943-1950 where it was modified and refitted as an experimental, radio controlled lightship designated EXP-99.  It was moved to the Third District in 1950 but plans for placing it on station near Scotland lightship did not materialize, and no further information on use and history could be found.  (See EXP-99 for further details)

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1956; AGE: 35

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned May 24, 1956; sold Nov 5, 1956


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 99 / WAL 522

1921-1929: Ernest Lebahn, Master
1921: Charles Bernier, Mate
1921-1928: Walter McCash, Mate
1929-?: John A Renehan, Mate
1929-?: Harry McRae, Master

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.