1966: High intensity light installed on mainmast, using 24 locomotive headlights headlights mounted in groups of 6 on each face of a 4-sided
revolving lamp housing; duplex lens lantern retained on foremast-
Radio/visual call sign NMJG (1946-1975)
STATION ASSIGNMENTS: WLV 189
1947-1966: Diamond Shoal (NC)
1966-1971: New Orleans (LA)
1971-1972: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)
1972-1975: Boston (MA)
HISTORICAL NOTES: WLV 189
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1975; AGE: 24
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned May 19, 1975 and laid up; a volunteer civilian crew of 12 Nantucket Islanders made the vessel ready for sea and delivered her from Boston to Atlantic City NJ Jul 14-19, 1975; struck by tanker en route; donated as training vessel; converted to museum 1980 at Atlantic City; scuttled as an artificial reef off Atlantic City in 1994.
Photo of the decommissioned WLV-189, taken on 28 January 1994, just prior to her sinking off the coast of Atlantic City, New Jersey, as part of New Jersey's Artificial Reef Program.
They sunk the Ship yet this is all that new_orleanslightship_1988_025_ was the matter with it!>>>>>>>
Copyright © 2004 United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association
INC. All rights reserved.
Copyrights also protected by the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of