1965-1971

Location & historical notes: Louisiana, northeasterly from the Delta entrances, in Brenton Sound off the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet which runs just west of Lake Borgne.  The station marked the approach for entering the Gulf Outlet.  The station was replaced by the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet Approach LHB "NO," located in 48 feet of water about four miles north of the former lightship station.

Lightships assigned:

1965-1966: LV-109 / WAL-531

YEAR BUILT: 1923

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

CONTRACT PRICE: $200,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 106,107,108,110,111

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; steel pilot house and deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galLeries, smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 132'4" (loa); BEAM: 30' 0"; DRAFT: 14'7"; TONNAGE: 715 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - compound reciprocating engine, 400 IHP; 2 oil fired Scotch marine boilers, 120 psi; 4 bladed propeller; max speed 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; submarine bell, hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & iMPROVEMENTS: LV 109-
1923 Aug 16, launched at Bath (ME); christened by Miss Elizabeth Davies of
Portland-
1923 Nov 10, delivered-
1923 Equipped with radio when built-
1929 Equipped with radiobeacon-
1935 Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1945 Fitted with detection radar-
195? Repowered with GM Bcyl diesel, 500hp, 4'9" dia propeller, max speed 8 kts-
1960 USCG lists vessel with duplex 375mm lens lantern on foremast, l3,000cp;
air diaphone; Bendix MR-3 radar; other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NNGZ (1940-1966)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 109 / WAL 531
1924-1954: Relief (6th District)
1954-1964: Savannah (GA)
1965-1966: New Orleans (LA)


(1942-1945 during WWlI, continued to serve as Relief lightship stationed at
Charleston (SC); no armament provided)
(New Orleans station established Mar 13, 1965)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 109 / WAL 531-
1929: Oct 1/2, while relieving Frying Pan Shoal, rode out hurricane with minor damage, but decks continuously awash with boarding seas for 2 days

More notes:
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1966; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Dec 8, 1966; trarnsferred to Agency for
International Development Feb 20, 1961, sold to Uraguay and served as Banco Ingles lightship for several years until retired in Uruguay

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 109/WAL 531

1923-?: Arnold Nielson, Master
1923-?: Harold T Brett, Mate
1960: CWO Cleo Hack, CO

YEAR BUILT: 1946

BUILT AT: Bay City (MI)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Defoe Shipbuilding Co

CONTRACT PRICE: ?

SISTER VESSELS: WLV 196

DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull and deckhouses; breakwater on foredeck; 2 masts, stack amidships

LENGTH: 128'0" (loa); BEAM: 30'0"; DRAFT: 11'0"; TONNAGE: 630 displ (apprx)

PROPULSION: Diesel - one GM 6-278A 6 cyl, clutch reversing; reduction gearing; closed system fresh water cooling; 500 SHP @ 250 RPM

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Duplex 500mm electric lens lantern on foremast only; 15,000cp each light, 57 feet above water

FOG SIGNAL: Twin F2T diaphones aft of pilot house; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: WLV 189-

First of 6 lightships designed and built for USCG; originally designated WAL 189 when built; changed to WLV in 1965-
First of only 6 all welded lightships ever constructed-
First of only 6 lightships ever designed and built with alternating current electrical system throughout-
High degree of watertight integrity maintained by transverse bulkheads carried to weather deck level; hawsepipes carried to weather deck before leading to chain locker-
Built specifically for Diamond Shoal station-
Launched Oct 16, 1946;

A photo of the WLV 189

The launching of LV-189 on 16 October 1946 at the Defoe Shipbuilding Company yard in Bay City, Michigan.

A photo of the WLV 189

"Commodore & Mrs. J. A. Hirshfield, Mrs. A. V. Prentis, James Hirshfield, Katherine Prentis Hirshfield, Sponsor, LS-189."; 16 October 1946; Photo No. 859; Defoe Shipbuilding Company photo.

Vice Commandant and World War II Coast Guard hero, Commodore James A. Hirshfield, attended the launching of LV-189.  His daughter, holding the bouquet, christened the lightship.

commissioned Nov 1946, placed on station during 1947-

A photo of the WLV 189

More of WLV 189 Next Page.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.