YEAR BUILT: 1952

BUILT AT: Curtis Bay (MD)
APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: USCG Yard

CONTRACT PRICE: $500 000

SISTER VESSELS: WLV 612

DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull and deckhouses: breakwater on foredeck; tripod foremast with large gallery; conventional mainmast; stack amidships

LENGTH: 128' 0" (loa); BEAM: 30' 0'; DRAFT: 11'0"; TONNAGE: 617 displ (lt)

PROPULSION: Detroit - Quad arrangement (same as 612)

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Duplex 375mm electric lens lantern mounted above gallery on foremast; 15, 000cp each light

FOG SIGNAL: Twin F2T diaphones mounted aft of pilot house

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS -- EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: WLV 613-

1952-Feb 4, keel laid; Aug 4, launched (sponsored by Miss Cynthia Foss); commissioned Sep 12. Designated WAL 613 when built; changed to WLV in 1965-
Used all-welded steel construction; transverse bulkheads corned to weather deck level; hawsepipes carried to weather deck before leading to chain locker; alternating current electrical system throughout-
1953-Large cylindrical lantern housing installed on tripod foremast with a duplex revolving high intensity light of British design. Optic consisted of two sets of four 18 inch parabolic mirrors revolving as a unit around two 1000 watt lamps. Focal plane 56 ft above water. Light intensity variable from 250,000 to 5 million cp in 3 steps. Backup 500mm electric lens lantern mounted atop lantern housing. Fitted with CR-103 radar-
1976-Electronic Radio Beacon timer installed.
1977-Old SPN-11X radar replaced with AN/SPS-57
1977-Installed LORAN-C
1982-RACON installed on lantern housing; backup lantern moved to mainmast; this was the only lightship equipped with RACON-
Radio/visual call sign NOJE (1952 1983)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: WLV 613
1952-1967: Ambrose Channel (NY)
1967-1979: Relief (MA)***
1979-1983: Nantucket Shoals (MA)

(withdrawn from Ambrose station Aug 24, 1967, station discontinued)
***(designated Nantucket II in 1979; thereafter WLV 613 and WLV 612 alternated on the Nantucket station, relieving each other approximately every 21 days during the period 1975-1983)


HISTORICAL NOTES: WLV 013-

1952: Oct 3, placed on Ambrose Channel station,-
1953: Apr, Conventional illuminating apparatus was removed and replaced with multi--catoptric biform optical apparatus as described under Construction Notes. The equipment was supplied by Chance Brothers Ltd of Birmingham, England, and provided a high-intensity triple flash rated at 5.5 million candlepower with intermediate adjustable ranges from 250,000 cp to the peak value.
1976: During the 1976 Nor'easter, 120 knot winds and 50 foot seas caused the WLV-613 to drag its 7000 ob mushroom anchor twelve miles.
1983: Dec 20, WLV 613 relieved WLV 612 at 0230 remaining on the Nantucket station until approximately 0800 when replaced by a LNB. Therefore, even though not completing a full duty tour, WLV 613 was the last US lightship to mark the Nantucket Shoals station.

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1983; AGE: 31

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: After leaving station, participated in various law enforcement, security, and public relations missions; sold Jul 7, 1984 to New England Historic Seaport, for use as floating museum at Boston. Present at Statue of Liberty rededication ceremony Jul 3/4 1986 New York Harbor.

COMMANDING OFFICERS: WLV 613

1952-1954: CWO Roy V Wood, CO
?-1950: WO Eric G Bragg, OIC
1965-1966: CWO J R Millard, CO
1967: CWO David N Russell, CO

1974-1976: CWO Robert C. Collins [Information provided by P. J. Markert and we are grateful for his assistance]
1976-1978: CWO Henry J. Styron, CO
1978-1980: N E Lemoine, CO
1980-1982: CWO J L Williams, CO
1982-1984: CWO L I Culley, CO

Back to Nantucket Lightship Station History

abstract bars

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.