Merrills Shell {Bank} 1847-1860

Location & historical notes: Mississippi, southwesterly from Gulfport, off Pass Christian and the entrance to Bay St. Louis.  The lightship was captured by Confederate forces.

 

Lightships assigned:

1847-1860: "W " (The only lightship to occupy this station.)

Tonnage: 400; iron hull
Station: 1847- 1860: Merrills Shell Bank (MS)
Illumination: Single lantern on mast amidships
Notes: This was the former Revenue Cutter LEGARE converted to lightship service
in 1847 after the Mexican War. Sunk by Confederate forces 1860

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.