Location & historical notes: South Carolina, off the entrance to Port Royal Sound about 15 miles eastward from Tybee Light.
In 1922, the Martins Industry Station was discontinued, with the lightship being moved to establish the Savannah Station concurrently.
1839-1855: "K "
1839-1855: Martins Industry (SC)
1855-1859: Calibouge Sound (SC)
YEAR BUILT: 1855
BUILT AT: Philadelphia Navy Yard
(Appropriation for "replacing Martins Industry and repairing one for Claibogue Sound")
CONTRACT PRICE: ?
SISTER VESSELS: None
DESIGN: Wood framed & planked
LENGTH: ?, BEAM: ?, DRAFT: ?; TONNAGE: ?; PROPULSION: sail
ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: ?
FOG SIGNAL: ?
CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS
- EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 35-
1857: "All necessary repairs" made and "new illuminating apparatus substituted"-
1867: "Thoroughly repaired", refitted and supplied after being raised, but found to be badly rotted
STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 35
1858-1862: Martins Industry (SC)
(1862: Seized and sunk in Savannah
River by Confederate forces)
(1887/1888: Raised and repaired, but badly rotted; surveyed and condemned)
(Prior to 1887 when No. 35 was assigned, official records identify this vessel
as "Martins Industry")
HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 35-
1856: March 1, placed on Martins Industry (SC)-
1861: The caption from the
Harper's Weekly illustration shown above noted: "The Lightship which
is to be placed off the entrance to Port Royal harbor is of the ordinary
size, and will display two bright white lights which can be seen at a
distance of from 12 to 15 miles. She will be armed with four rifled
cannons, and to prevent the rebels from boarding her, nettings will be
placed around her, above the rail. Her crew will consist of about twenty
persons in addition to the Light Keepers. On each side the words 'MARTINS
INDUSTRY' will be painted, as she will be placed on the edge of a sand bar
bearing that name. When in position this will be the only Light in use on
the Southern Coast."
1862: "Seized and sunk in Savannah River by rebels"
1866: Raised and taken to Savannah for repairs; the Savannah Daily News on 15 December 1866 noted: "This vessel, which was sunk by the Confederate authorities in 1862 in the channel below the city, has been raised at last, and brought as far as Fig Island Light. She is represented to be in nearly as good condition now as when sunk."
1868: After fitting out, "evidence of serious decay being observed, a thorough survey was held upon her, resulting in her condemnation. Nearly every part of her hull was pervaded by dry rot. She was accordingly stripped of every appurtenance which could be of service to the lighthouse establishment", then sold. The Savannah Morning News of Monday, 28 September 1868, noted: "The old Martin's Industry Light Ship, which was sunk in our river during the war, and subsequently raised and refitted in a good style at this port, was sold in Charleston on Friday last, for the sum of $712. This ship has been in service until recently, when the introduction of new vessels on the various stations along the coast, caused her sale by the Government."
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1868; AGE: 13
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1868 Sep 25, sold at auction in Charleston for $712.
1861-1862: station vacant
To Martin Industry Lightships LV 32 and LV 29>>>>>>>
Copyright © 2004 United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association
INC. All rights reserved.
Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of