1876-1880: LV-34

YEAR BUILT: 1865

BUILT AT: Philadelphia (PA)

BUILDER: Vaughn & Fisher

APPROPRIATION: $150,000
($48,000 for LV 29 & 34)
(Jul 2, 1864 for 2 light-vessels, unspecified)

CONTRACT PRICE: $24,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - live oak, white oak & yellow pine; galvanized iron, copper & treenail fastenings

LENGTH: 101'10" (loa); BEAM: 23'; DRAFT: 11'0"; TONNAGE: 218 displ, 150 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 fountain-burner oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 34-
1868: "Completely" repaired but "defects" found in mast-
1872: Extensive repairs Jun 2 - Oct 29, Wilmington (NC)-
1886: Jul, badly worm eaten on both sides; repaired, recaulked, resheathed and
rolling keels replaced; new mainmast, new hawse pipes and new water tanks-
1894: Repaired for damage by 2 hurricanes $1,800-
1898: Nov 16-Dec 27, major overhaul and refit-
1900: May 18, hauled for replacement of hull timbers-
1901: Nov 7-Dec 10, 4HP oil engine, compressor, and 8" chime whistle installed-
1904: Wireless equipment and operator supplied by USN; apparently discontinued-
1916: Feb, fog signal changed to air diaphone (this was the first US lightship
to be equipped with a diaphone)-
1916: Feb, Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1923

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 34
1866-1876: Relief (6th District)
1871-1875: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1876-1880: Martins Industry (SC)
1880-1886: Rattlesnake Shoal (SC)
1887-1892: Martins Industry (SC)
1892-1894: Rattlesnake Shoal (SC)
1894-1924: Charleston (SC)

(1866 Mar 11 - 1868, temporary duty at Fishing Rip (SC)
(1894 May 31, Rattlesnake Shoal station moved and renamed Charleston)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 34 was assigned, official records identify this vessel
as "Relief")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 34-
1866: Mar 11, Placed "temporarily" on Fishing Rip while in Relief status-
1866: Nov 3, lost anchor & 30 fathoms chain from loose shackle pin-
1872: Jul, "accidentally sunk" at Wilmington (NC) while being repaired-
1877: "now on Martins Industry"-
1880: Apr 27, withdrawn for repairs: completed Aur 1880 but remained unassigned-
1880: Dec 29, placed on Rattlesnake Shoal (SC)-
1882: Aug 27, parted chain In hurricane; replaced on station Aus 31-
1886: Jul 26, leaking; withdrawn for repairs-
1887: Jul 23, placed on Martins Industry (SC)-
1892: Placed on Rattlesnake Shoal (SC); Aug 27/28 blown off station by hurricane
parting both chains and losing both anchors. Driven ashore at Long Island Beach
(SC), 40 feet above low water mark. While beached, damaged by a 2nd hurricane in
Oct. Hauled off in 1894 and brought to Charleston for repairs;-
1894: May 31, placed on Charleston (SC) (Rattlesnake Shoal station was relocated
and renamed Charleston at this time)-
1904: Nov, wireless telegraph equipment installed and operator provided by Navy
but apparently was later discontinued


More notes:
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1924; AGE: 59

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Condemned and sold during 1924


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 34

1874-1893: John McCormick, Keeper
1894-1896: Antoni Neilson, Master
1896-1899: Carl F Kellin, Master
1906-?: Carl F Kellin, Master
?-1917: Antoni Nielson, Master
1917-1919: John W Fullwood, Master
1917: Mathew Slavich, Mate
1917: Joseph P Francis, Mate
1917-1918: Charles Rose, Mate
1918-1921: Victor Karlson, Mate
1919: George Larsen, Master
1919-1924: John A Jansson, Master

1880-1887: LV-29 {See Above}

1887-1892: LV-34 {See Above}

1892-1896: LV-1

YEAR BUILT: 1855

BUILT AT: Kittery (ME)

APPROPRIATION: $30, 000

BUILDER: Navy Yard

CONTRACT PRICE: $48,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white & live oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts; oval daymarks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 103'0" (lbp) BEAM: 24'0" DRAFT: 12'6" TONNAGE: 228 displ,275 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps & reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 1-
1860: Rebuilt-
1881: Main anchor replaced with mushroom (apparently one having a stock)-
1883: Mooring methods evaluated by Lighthouse Board. All alternatives found unfeasible due to strong rotary currents in the area, and structure of ship unable to sustain additional chain loading-
1886: Lighthouse Board authorized casting an "ordinary" (stockless) mushroom anchor. With this, station was maintained throughout winter-
1892: Boiler, steam pump, steam windlass, 12" steam fog whistle installed-
1895: Rebuilt, also rebuilt again in 1902-
1910: Submarine bell signal installed-
1915: Steam fog signal replaced with oil engine, compressor, and air siren-
1919: Equipped with radio, discontinued 1923-
1925: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene; light from fixed to flashing

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 1
1856-1892: Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)
1892-1896: Martins Industry (SC)
1896-1911: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1911-1922: Martins industry (SC)
l922-193O: Savannah (GA)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 1 was assigned, official records identify this vessel "Nantucket" or "Nantucket Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 1-
1856: Jan, placed on Nantucket New South Shoal station-During heavy gales, parted chain and went adrift 12 times while on Nantucket
station, being off station for periods up to 20 days before working back under sail or being towed. (records are incomplete during 1856-1865)-
1883: Slipped chain and worked under sail to avoid foundering during storm-
1887: Picked up crew of foundered British steamer CALEDONIA. Accommodated for 12 days until taken off by tender-
1891: Lighthouse Board requested $70,000 appropriation for a "proper" lightship to be steam propelled and equipped with steam fog signal - approved in 1892-
1892: Jun 14, relieved by LV 9, refitted and towed to Charleston (SC) by AZALEA-
1892: Nov 14, placed on Martins Industry (SC) after transfer to Charleston-
1894: Parted chain and adrift twice during hurricanes, boats and davits carried away both times-
1896: Nov 11, placed on Frying Pan Shoal (NC)-
1896-1907: broke adrift on 5 occasions during the period-
1911: Placed on Martine Industry (SC) until station discontinued in 1922

More notes:-
1915: Steam fog signal machinery replaced with oil engine and compressor; the reduced weight was reported to improve stability, buoyancy and handling-
1922: Placed on Savannah (GA); withdrawn 1930

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1930 AGE: 75

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Donated 1930, towed to Haverhill MA for Sea Scout use. Later taken over by Groveton MA Sea Scouts; moved vicinity of Groveton Bridge over Merrimac River. Carried downriver in 1936 flood, going aground on north bank opposite Henderson Farm. Stripped and abandoned; hull still remains 1986

Martin Industry Lightship 53 WAL 501>>>>>

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.