1825-1867

Location & historical notes: Maryland, in the section of the Potomac River referred to as the "narrows of the Potomac," about 40 miles upriver from the Chesapeake Bay.  Moored on the westerly side of the channel, off the present Naval Proving Ground at Dahlgren, Virginia, and about one mile south of the highway bridge for Route 301.  The station was discontinued after the Lower Cedar Point Lighthouse came into operation.

Lightships assigned:

1825-1861: "DD "

Tonnage: 72; wood hull
Station: 1825-1861: Lower Cedar Point (MD)
Note: Removed, sunk or destroyed by Confederate forces

1861-1864: station vacant

1864-1867: LV-24

YEAR BUILT: 1863

BUILT AT: New Bedford (MA)

BUILDER: Stephen Andrews

APPROPRIATION: None needed

CONTRACT PRICE: $47,500 (for 3 vessels)
(Contract for 3 vessels for Upper & Lower Cedar Point and Cross Rip

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts, hoop iron daymark at each masthead

LENGTH: 77' (lbp), BEAM: 21', DRAFT: 10', TONNAGE: 115

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 24-

1867: Aug, hauled and recaulked at Norfolk (VA); repainted yellow-
1869: Sep New lantern mast installed-
1871: Repaired at New York $2,658,57-
1873: Repaired at 2d District-
1874: Repaired at 2d District-
1875: Nov, new lantern installed on foremast-
1877: Sep "hull in very bad condition", "thoroughly repaired"-
1880: Recaulked and painted-
1887: "Thoroughly overhauled" and repainted

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV24
1864-1867: Lower Cedar Point (MD
1867-1870: York Spit (VA)
1870-1871: Relief (3d District)
1871-1874: Relief (2d District &3d District)
1874-1875: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1875-1889: Relief (4th District)

(1877: May15-Aug 10,temporary duty near Ship John Shoal (DE) during lighthouse construction)

(Prior to 1867 when No. 24 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as 'Lower Cedar Point Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 24-
1864: Sep, placed on Lower Cedar Point (MD)-
1867: Aug 6, withdrawn when Lower Cedar Point Lighthouse completed-
1867: Oct, placed on York Spit (VA)- (this station had been vacant since 1861)-
1871: Jun, withdrawn, transferred to 3d District and assigned Relief duty-
1871-74: "used as Relief in both 2d and 3d Districts"-
1872: 3d District stated "repaired last autumn and now on Succonnessett Shoal"-
1874: Nov 15, moved to 4th District and placed on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)-
1875: Nov withdrawn and assigned as Relief, 4th District-
1889: Sep 12, while relieving Five Fathom Bank (NJ), found to be leaking during
hurricane; slipped chain and made sail for Delaware Bay. Picked up by tender and
assisted to Delaware Breakwater Sep 13. On Sep 14 towed to Edgemoor (DE); found
to be badly hogged, seams opened, and hawsepipe damaged. Reported "unworthy of
further repair" and condemned


More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1889 AGE: 26

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1890 May 16, sold at public auction - $200

Thanks for VisitingBack to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.