Ambrose Channel Lightship Station, (1823-1967)
Location & historical notes: Ambrose Channel, New York, off the entrance to New York Bay, east and south of Sandy Hook, 6.2 miles and 097 degrees from the Sandy Hook Lighthouse. The station was ultimately replaced by the Ambrose Light Tower.
The station was originally named "Sandy Hook" from 1823-1908.
1823-1829: "V V "
1829-1838: Station Discontinued
1839-1854: "W W "
1908-1932: LV-87 / WAL-512
1932-1952: LV-111 / WAL-533
*** 24 June 1960 Relief Lightship Sunk on Station!***
"Ambrose Channel Lightship then and now...along side the tower replacing it"
Maritime history of the local waters of the Ambrose Lighthip
Back to Station Histories Back to "All things Lightship
© 2008, 2009 USCG Lightship Sailors Association International Inc. Larry Ryan, President