1887-1939

Location & historical notes: Michigan, in Lake St. Clair, originally 1.5 miles and 098 degrees from the present Grosse Pointe Club Dock South Light.  Later moved about seven miles northeasterly and positioned on the westerly side of the dredged channel to mark a turn.  The station was replaced by the Lake St. Clair Light.

Lightships assigned:

1887-1902: LV-10

YEAR BUILT: 1878

BUILT AT: Detroit (MI)

APPROPRIATION: None

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: ($3,000 conversion to lightship)

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood scow, oak framed and planked; single mast amidships; deckhouse aft; daymark at masthead - (Built as stone barge and used 1878-1882 during construction of Stannard Rock Lighthouse; converted for lightship use 1882)

LENGTH: 38' (ba) BEAM: 218" DRAFT: 46" TONNAGE: 170

PROPULSION None

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern - 8 oil lamps,Funck type

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 10-
1882: Former stone barge converted for use as lightship-
1892: Extensive overhaul, "rotten wood in her ends"-
1899: Reported "old and not worth repair"-
1901: Drydocked and refastened

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:LV10

1887-1902: Grosse Pointe (MI)

(1887 position stated as "upper end of twenty foot dredged channel")
(1888 position changed slightly to form range with Belle Isle Light ,distant 5.5miles)
(1902 station discontinued-moved and renamed Lake St. Clair)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 10-
(1878-1882): Built for and used as stone barge during construction of Stannard
Rock Lighthouse-
1887: Station location stated as "upper end of 20 ft dredged channel, Lake
St Clair"-
1888: Slight position change to form range with Belle Isle Light, distant 5.5 mi-
1888: Lightship logged 6,657 passing vessels during the year-
1901: A $15,000 appropriation for new Poe Reef lightship was reappropriated for
replacement of LV 10-
1902: New 160 ton steam replacement vessel "expected to be ready by August"
(Great Lakes lightships were routinely withdrawn every year while the Lakes
were closed to navigation by ice; usually Nov-Apr

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1902 AGE: 24

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Records show "dismantled 1902"

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 10

1890-1893: John T Murray, Asst Keeper
1893-1902: John T. Murray, Master

1902-1939: LV-75

YEAR BUILT: 1902

BUILT AT: Ferrysburg (MI)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Johnson Boiler Co

CONTRACT PRICE: $14,998

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steel scow; single lantern mast forward; large wood deckhouse

LENGTH: 83'9" (loa); BEAM: 23'0"; DRAFT: 96" (depth); TONNAGE: 160 gross

PROPULSION: No means of propulsion

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Oil illuminant, other details not found

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 75
-1922: Illuminating apparatus converted to acetylene operation
-1926: Automated for unattended operation
-1934: Fitted with fog bell struck automatically by mechanism driven by carbon
dioxide gas
-1935: Equipped with radio-beacon; fog signal changed to air whistle
-1935: Radio control system installed to control light, fog signal and radio
beacon functions from ashore. This was the first lightship to operate
unattended, and the first to have provision for remote control of its
illuminating and signaling systems

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 75
1902-1911: Grosse Pointe (MI)
1912-1939: Lake St Clair (MI)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 75
-1902 Aug, placed on Grosse Pointe station, marking the upper (northerly)
end of the 20 foot dredged channel in Lake St Clair
-Removed from station during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation - typically early Dec -Mar/Apr each year. Maintenance and repairs were performed
during the winter lay-up period
-1911 Station moved and renamed Lake St Clair
-1926 Equipped for unattended operation
-1935 Equipped for controlling all systems by radio from ashore
-Remained assigned to Lake St Clair station until discontinued in 1939


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1939; AGE: 37

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold 1939
Reported later to have been used as a lighter in New York Harbor; 1941
registration #175581. Said to be still in use as of 1983

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 75

1902-1903: John T Murray, Master
1903-1906: Charles Calnow, Master
1906-1915: Conrad Christiansen, Master
1915-1921: James Jones, Master
1915: Frank Leimbach, Mate
1915-1916: Charles Bernier, Mate
1916-1922: Gustav Affeldt, Mate
1921-?: Charles Bernier, Master
1922-?: Ernest LeBahn, Mate

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.