Location & historical notes: North Carolina, off the outer end of the extensive shoals marking out nearly 17 miles south and east of Cape Fear. Served as a guide for passing clear of the shoal area in the approach to the Cape Fear River which accessed Southport and Wilmington. The station was eventually replaced by the Frying Pan Shoal Light Tower which was established 1.7 miles and 309 degrees from the final position of the lightship station.
1860-1863: station vacant
1854-1860: "D "
1892-1896: LV-53 / WAL-501
1911-1930: LV-94 / WAL-518
1930-1942: LV-115 / WAL-537
1942-1945: marked by a buoy during World War II
1945-1964: LV-115 / WAL-537
The Sinking of Lightship LV 115 WAL 537
Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.
Copyright 2004 United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors by MGM IMAGING . All rights reserved.
Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 Revised: 12/18/07.