Frying Pan Shoal Lightships 
LV 94 WAL 518

 Picture from the Michael K. Allen Archives.

YEAR BUILT: 1911

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION:?

CONTRACT PRICE: $104,604

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilot/chart house forward, wood radio house aft; 2'6" dia lantern mast forward, conventional mast aft (unlighted; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'9" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 660 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 380 IHP max; 2 Scotch boilers i0'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; 4 bladed propeller 8'0" dia; during trials made 9.9 knots - also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 6'6" dia lantern housing a 4th order lens carried on a compound pendulum mounted in gimbals; 2900 cp IOV lamp, 68' above water level

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; submarine bell; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 94-
When built, reported as the "most highly developed" lightship in the fleet-
1911: Equipped with radio and submarine bell when placed in service-
1920: Incandescent Oil Vapor illuminant changed to acetylene-
1928: Equipped with radiobeacon
1930: Illuminating apparatus changed to duplex 375mm electric lens lantern on
foremast, 13,200cp; fog signal changed to air siren-
1932: Fog signal changed back to steam whistle-
1933: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1936: Repowered with Atlas Imperial 375 HF main engine, 6'4" propeller-
1945: Fitted with detection radar, later removed-
1948: USCG lists vessel with triplex air diaphragm horn; other characteristics
in line with above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGM (1940-1954)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 94 / WAL 518
1911-1930: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1930-1954: Savannah (GA)

(1930 Jul 16, Frying Pan position moved 14 mi SE to extremity of 10 fathom curve)


(1942-1945 During WWII remained assigned to Savannah station; no armament provided)


HISTORICAL NOTES; LV 94 / WAL 518-
1913: Apr 10, parted chain and drifted; steering gear disabled; picked up and towed to Southport NC by SS GENERAL GETTY; returned to station Apr 12-
1915: Apr 2, during severe storm, parted chain and drifted SE; let go spare anchor but dragged; throughout night, made periodic radio broadcasts that ship was off station; next day hoisted "QE" flag signal (lightship off station) and attempted to steam to station but unable to make headway so anchored; when storm abated, regained station Apr 4-
1911: Meteorological equipment supplied by arrangement with USN and Weather Bureau for reporting weather observations twice daily by radio

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1954; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Dec 15, 1954; sold Nov 16, 1955


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 94 / WAL 518
1919-1921: Joseph P Francis, Mate
1921-1924: Frank C Girardeau, Mate
1924: Chester H Taylor, Mate
1924-1925: Oscar D Nelson, Mate
1925-1927: Hugh 0 Wiggins, Mate
1927-1928: Chester H Taylor, Mate
1927-?: Hugh 0 Wiggins, Master
1928-1929: Andrew J Pollard, Mate

1936-1937: Oscar D Nelson, Mate
1939: Thomas B Christiansen, Master
1939-?: Gavin L Field, Master

Back to Frying Pan Shoal Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.