Frying Pan Shoal Lightships 
LV 34

YEAR BUILT: 1865

BUILT AT: Philadelphia (PA)

BUILDER: Vaughn & Fisher

APPROPRIATION: $150,000
($48,000 for LV 29 & 34)
(Jul 2, 1864 for 2 light-vessels, unspecified)

CONTRACT PRICE: $24,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - live oak, white oak & yellow pine; galvanized iron, copper & treenail fastenings

LENGTH: 101'10" (loa); BEAM: 23'; DRAFT: 11'0"; TONNAGE: 218 displ, 150 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 fountain-burner oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 34-
1868: "Completely" repaired but "defects" found in mast-
1872: Extensive repairs Jun 2 - Oct 29, Wilmington (NC)-
1886: Jul, badly worm eaten on both sides; repaired, recaulked, resheathed and
rolling keels replaced; new mainmast, new hawse pipes and new water tanks-
1894: Repaired for damage by 2 hurricanes $1,800-
1898: Nov 16-Dec 27, major overhaul and refit-
1900: May 18, hauled for replacement of hull timbers-
1901: Nov 7-Dec 10, 4HP oil engine, compressor, and 8" chime whistle installed-
1904: Wireless equipment and operator supplied by USN; apparently discontinued-
1916: Feb, fog signal changed to air diaphone (this was the first US lightship
to be equipped with a diaphone)-
1916: Feb, Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1923

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 34
1866-1876: Relief (6th District)
1871-1875: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1876-1880: Martins Industry (SC)
1880-1886: Rattlesnake Shoal (SC)
1887-1892: Martins Industry (SC)
1892-1894: Rattlesnake Shoal (SC)
1894-1924: Charleston (SC)

(1866 Mar 11 - 1868, temporary duty at Fishing Rip (SC)
(1894 May 31, Rattlesnake Shoal station moved and renamed Charleston)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 34 was assigned, official records identify this vessel
as "Relief")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 34-
1866: Mar 11, Placed "temporarily" on Fishing Rip while in Relief status-
1866: Nov 3, lost anchor & 30 fathoms chain from loose shackle pin-
1872: Jul, "accidentally sunk" at Wilmington (NC) while being repaired-
1877: "now on Martins Industry"-
1880: Apr 27, withdrawn for repairs: completed Aur 1880 but remained unassigned-
1880: Dec 29, placed on Rattlesnake Shoal (SC)-
1882: Aug 27, parted chain In hurricane; replaced on station Aus 31-
1886: Jul 26, leaking; withdrawn for repairs-
1887: Jul 23, placed on Martins Industry (SC)-
1892: Placed on Rattlesnake Shoal (SC); Aug 27/28 blown off station by hurricane
parting both chains and losing both anchors. Driven ashore at Long Island Beach
(SC), 40 feet above low water mark. While beached, damaged by a 2nd hurricane in
Oct. Hauled off in 1894 and brought to Charleston for repairs;-
1894: May 31, placed on Charleston (SC) (Rattlesnake Shoal station was relocated
and renamed Charleston at this time)-
1904: Nov, wireless telegraph equipment installed and operator provided by Navy
but apparently was later discontinued


More notes:
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1924; AGE: 59

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Condemned and sold during 1924


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 34

1874-1893: John McCormick, Keeper
1894-1896: Antoni Neilson, Master
1896-1899: Carl F Kellin, Master
1906-?: Carl F Kellin, Master
?-1917: Antoni Nielson, Master
1917-1919: John W Fullwood, Master
1917: Mathew Slavich, Mate
1917: Joseph P Francis, Mate
1917-1918: Charles Rose, Mate
1918-1921: Victor Karlson, Mate
1919: George Larsen, Master
1919-1924: John A Jansson, Master

Back to Frying Pan Shoal Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.