Frying Pan Shoal Lightships 
LV 115 WAL 537

YEAR BUILT: 1930

BUILT AT: Charleston (SC)

APPRORRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Charleston Drydock & Machine Co

CONTRACT PRICE: $274,434

SISTER VESSELS: LV 100, 113, 114, 116, 117

DESIGIN: Diesel-electric propelled; steel hull; steel deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galleries; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 133' 3' (loa); BEAM: 30' 0"; DRAFT: 13' 8"; TONNAGE: 630 displ

PROPULSION: Diesel-electric - one 350 HP electric motor driven by any or all of four 75 KW Diesel engine/generator units; 350 SEP @ 300 RPM; max speed 10 knots, average 9 knots

iLLUMINATiNG APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: Electric diaphragm born using mushroom trumpet; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 115-
Equipped with radio, radiobeacon and submarine bell when built-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
Radio and visual call sign NMJC (1940-1965)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 115 / WAL 537
1930-1942: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1964: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1964-1965: Relief (4th District, Cape May NJ)

(During WWII - 1942-1944 assigned to 15th District stationed at Cristobal. (CZ) and used as an examination vessel. Classed as a "YN" - net tender, during this period. 1944-45 assigned to 6th District stationed at Charleston SC and used as an examination vessel; no armament provided.)

More notes:


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1965; AGE: 35

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov 4, 1965; donated Sep 5, 1967 for use
as museum at Southport (NC), Sold 1984 and moved to Whitehaven MD on Wicomico
Capsized and sunk 1986, raised 1987 and sold, then anchored near Deal Island MD.

Here is a link to the story of the sinking!
1988 painted white, mainmast removed, original propulsion system replaced with small engine. Denied passage through Chesapeake & Delaware Canal due to inadequate power and poor overall condition. Towed back to Deal Island. Severely damaged during an engine room fire in summer 1988

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 115 / WAL 537-
1939: Carl Lindberg, Mate

Back to Frying Pan Shoal Lightship  Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.