Lightship LV 37

YEAR BUILT: 1892

BUILT AT: West Bay City (MI)

APPROPRIATION: $70, 000

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $53,325 ($213,300 for 4 ships)

SISTER VESSELS: LV 51,53,54

DESIGN: Iron hull & fastenings; 2 masts with spencers, daymark on foremast; stack ahead of main; flush decked aft to mainmast; hawsepipe thru stem, aligned with centerline of vessel

LENGTH: 118'l0"(loa); BEAM: 266"; DRAFT: 12'0"; TONNAGE: 375 disp, 310 gross

PROPULSION: Steam screw- single compound condensing engine 14" & 24" bores x 16" stroke; 180 IEP; 2 Scotch boilers 8'dia x 9'lg, max speed 6 knots; coal capacity 52 tons; also rigged for sail carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps and reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam whistle; hand operated 1000 lb bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 52
-One of the first 4 lightships to have the hawsepipe through the stem and
aligned with the centerline of the vessel
-Hauled for bottom painting annually for the first 5 years, thereafter
approximately every 2 years. General repairs to hull, machinery and boilers
were carried out as needed during these periods
-1899: New masts and spencers installed
-1906: Oct 24, submarine bell signal installed for test, in service May 29, 1907
-1912: Fog signal converted to air siren
-1916: Illuminant changed from oil to oil-gas
-1917: Illuminant changed to acetylene
-1919: Equipped with radio
-1923: Original lanterns and lantern houses removed; replaced with galleries and
500mm electric lens lanterns using special 150 watt lamps; rated at 5,5OOcp


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 52
1892-1930: Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)
1930-1932: Relief 4th District (laid up 1931)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 52
-1892: Sep 1, delivered to Wilmington (DE); fitted out and supplied with 70 tons
coal, chandlery, tools and rations
-1892: Dec 15, placed on Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)
-1893: Wood stoves supplied to avoid using coal for heating crew spaces
-1894: Aug 5-12, withdrawn for bottom painting and repair
-1895: Aug 5-15, ditto
-1896: Jul 13-?, off station for repairs
-1897: Apr 12, parted chain in gale; steamed to Edgemoor Depot for replacement
chain and anchor; steamed back to station May 10
-1897: Jul 28-?, off station for painting and repair
-1899: Sep 28-Nov 22, relieved (by LV 16) for replacement of both masts, and
overhaul of boilers and machinery
-1900: Mar 22, fog signal characteristic changed to give 8 sec blasts separated
by alternating silent intervals of 32 and 72 seconds
-1901: Jul 2-Aug 23, relieved (by LV 11) for hull and machinery repairs
-1903: Jul 20-Sep 3, relieved (by LV 16) for general repairs
-1906: Sep 19-Oct 24, relieved (by LV 16) for repairs
-1906: Oct 24, submarine bell signal installed for test and evaluation

More notes: LV 52
-1907: May 29, submarine bell signal placed in regular operation
-1918: Jun 4, Master and 2 seamen launched boat and assisted disabled airplane
-1923: Sep, electrified using 500mm lens lanterns and special 150 watt lamp
-1928: Sep 18/19, rode out hurricane with 2 days of violent cross seas; ship was
reported to have worked severely, but no serious leaks and remained on station
-1930: Withdrawn and assigned Relief duty
-1931: Laid up

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1931; AGE: 39

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold 1932


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 52

1888-1893: Arthur M Hudson, Keeper
1893-1917: Arthur M Hudson, Master
?- 1914: John B Johnson, Mate
1914-1915: Alexander Anderson, Mate
1916-1917: Gus Montague, Mate
1917-1926: Alexander Anderson, Master
1917: Benjamin L Harris, Mate
1917: Charles E O'Neil, Mate
1917-1920: George K Rollinson, Mate
1920- 1921: John 0 Callis, Mate
1921-1925: Robert A Dixon, Mate
1925-1926: Richard J Spencer, Mate
1926-1930: Richard J Spencer, Master
1926-1927: Samuel F Dowdy, Mate
1927-1929: Thomas S Simmons, Mate
1929-1930: Robert E Tillette, Mate

Back to Fenwick Island Shoal Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.