Lightship LV 37

YEAR BUILT: 1930

BUILT AT: Charleston (SC)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Charleston Drydock & Machine Co

CONTRACT PRICE: $274,434

SISTER VESSELS: LV 100,113,114,115,117

DESIGN: Diesel-electric propelled; steel hull; steel deckhouses; 2 masts, smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 133'3" (loa); BEAM: 30'0"; DRAFT: 13'0"; TONNAGE: 630 displ

PROPULSION: Diesel-electric - one 350 HP electric motor driven by any or all of four 75 KW diesel engine/generator units; 350 SHP @ 300 RPM; 5'9"dia propeller; max speed 10 knots, average 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: Electric diaphragm horn using 4-way multiple horn; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 116-
Launched Oct 22, 1929; completed Aug 14,1930 - Equipped with radio and submarine bell when built-
1933: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1935: Fog signal changed to air diaphone F2T-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1964: USCG lists vessel with duplex 375mm lens lantern on foremast, 13,000cp each lamp; AN/SPN-l1 radar; other characteristics as shown above-
Radio and visual call sign NMJD (1940-1970)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 116 / WAL 538
1930-1933: Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)
1933-1942: Chesapeake (VA)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1965: Chesapeake (VA)
1965-1970: Delaware (DE)

(Fenwick station discontinued Jun 30, 1933)
(1942-1945 during WWII, withdrawn from Chesapeake station, assigned to 1st District based at Sandwich (MA) and used as examination vessel off
northern entrance to Cape Cod Canal; armed with two 20mm/80)
(Chesapeake station discontinued 1965)
(Delaware station discontinued 1970)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 116/WAL 538-

1936 Sep17/18, in track of hurricane, parted chain and adrift; dropped spare anchor and ran full ahead for 10 hours to reduce dragging; motor launch and whaleboat damaged, dory carried away; relieved for repair Sep 19 and took station again Sep 25

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1970; AGE: 40

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Aug 25, 1970; transferred to National Park Service Aug 25, 1971 and on display at Hams Point, Washington DC until 1980; moved in 1982 to Baltimore Harbor Place, Constellation Dock; afloat and open to public.  Maintained by Coast Guard Reserve unit.  Marked CHESAPEAKE

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 116 / WAL 538

1930-1937: Alexander Andrews, Master 
1937-?: Robert E Tillette, Mate

1948-1949: CWO Givizanni, CO; BMC Everett, XO

1964: CWO G H Yarrington, CO

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.