1893-1936

Location & historical notes: In Lake Michigan at the northern end of Green Bay, southeasterly from Escanaba and northwesterly from Washington Island.  The station was eventually replaced by the Eleven Foot Shoal Light Station.

Lightships assigned:

1893-1925: LV-60

YEAR BUILT: 1893

BUILT AT: Toledo (OH)

BUILDER: Craig Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $60,000
(Approp. for Eleven Foot Shoal MI, plus "one or more" other lightships)

CONTRACT PRICE: $13,990 ($41970 LV 60,61,62)

SISTER VESSELS: LV 59,61,62

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked, white oak fastened with iron bolts and spikes foremast with spencer, short after mast; stack amidships; fog signal ahead of stack; single large deckhouse; daymark on foremast

LENGTH: 87'2" (loa); BEAM: 216"; DRAFT: 80"; TONNAGE: 160 displ (fresh water)

PROPULSION: None-riding sail carried on short after mast

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil burning lens lanterns hoisted to fore masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 6" steam whistle; hand operated 800 lb brass bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 60

-Although essentially identical, LV 60,61, and 62 were built under a single
contract with LV 59 built by separate contract
-1906: Equipped with submarine bell signal
-1917: Fog whistle changed to 10 inch

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 60
1893-1925: Eleven Foot Shoal (MI)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 60
-1893: Oct 6, placed on Eleven Foot Shoal (Ml), northern end of Green Bay, Lake
Michigan to mark turn for entering Little Bay de Noquette. Showed single FW
light 40 feet above water, visible 13 mi; black hull with white lettering; fog
signal 5 sec blast, silent 10 sec
-1893: Dec 6, withdrawn for winter to Escanaba (MI)
-Typical of Great Lakes lightships, vessel was withdrawn from station during the period that Lakes were closed to navigation usually early Dec through Mar/Apr each year. Necessary repairs were performed in winter quarters; this vessel wintered at Escanaba each year except 1904 at Sturgeon Bay (WI)
-1894: Lost mooring in fall due to faulty shackle pin and went adrift; repositioned on station by tender DAHLIA
-1897: Interior layout modified; coal bunkers expanded
-1900: Rotten deck planking replaced
-1901: New deck laid both sides of deckhouse
-1902: Appropriation of $30,000 requested for a relief lightship to serve 9th
and 11th Districts
-1904: Wintered at Sturgeon Bay (WI), hauled for extensive repairs

More notes: LV 60
-Remained assigned to Eleven Foot Shoal during 1925 navigation season

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1926; AGE: 33

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold Jan 15, 1926; said to have been used later as floating clubhouse at. Chicago IL

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 60

1893-1913: Loren Kristiansen, Master
1912-1916: William Christensen, Mate
1913-1918: Thomas D Quinlan, Master
1916-1917: John Barrand, Mate
1917-1918: Joseph L Wagner Mate
1918: Robert McDonald, Mate (temp)
1918: Albert M Green, Mate
1918-1919: Adolph Berry, Mate
1919-1925: Conrad A Stram, Master
1919-1924: Alfred Hansen, Mate
1924-1925: Henry Osby, Mate
1925: Julius Meyer, Mate

1926-1936: LV-82

YEAR BUILT: 1912

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION: $50,000

(Appropriations Mar 3, 1903 and May 14, 1908)

CONTRACT PRICE: $42,910

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull with whaleback forecastle deck; single lantern mast forward, short jigger mast aft; daymark on main; stack amidships

LENGTH: 95'2"(loa); BEAM: 21'0"; DRAFT: 7'6"; TONNAGE: 187 displ, fresh water (Records also show draft as 8'l0" and 10' and show displacement as 209 in 1915)

PROPULSION: Steam - one 90 IHP reciprocating engine; main boiler 14' dia, 120 psi; cast iron propeller 5' dia x 7'2" pitch


ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of three 200mm oil lens lanterns on sleeve, hoisted to masthead; each lamp rated l70cp

FOG SIGNAL: 10" steam whistle; submarine bell, hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 82-
1915: Illuminating apparatus converted to acetylene-
1931: Submarine bell discontinued

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 82

1912-1913: Buffalo (NY)
1916: Relief (laid up)
1917-1925: Relief (10th District)
1926-1936: Eleven Foot Shoal (MI)

(1914-1915: In process of being located, raised and repaired after having sunk during a hurricane on Nov 10, 1913)
(Eleven Foot Shoal station discontinued in 1936; replaced by Eleven Foot Shoal Lighthouse)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 82-
1912: Jul 12, delivered-
1912: Aug 3, placed on Buffalo (NY), 13 miles off entrance to Buffalo Harbor
"temporarily to mark approaches to Buffalo pending construction of LV 96"-
1913: Nov 13, sunk during hurricane with loss of all 6 personnel aboard; (station
temporarily marked by LV 96 during 1914 then LV 98 assigned in 1915)-
1914: May 9, wreck located 1 7/8 mi NNE from station in 63 feet; diver reported
hull intact but interior wrecked, and no bodies found. Contract let for salvage.-
1914: Oct, new contract ($19,500) awarded for raising vessel since former
contractor had failed to perform-
1914: Oct 29, body of C.W. Butler, Engineer was recovered in Niagara River,
at Buffalo, nearly 13 miles from where the lightship went down-
1915: Sep 16, vessel raised by means of pontoons; repaired and returned to
service-
1920: Assigned to Relief duty until 1925, then laid up in 1926 at Detroit-
1926: Placed on Eleven Foot Shoal (MI) until station discontinued in 1936-
1936: Transferred to 2d District Hq, Chelsea MA


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1936; AGE: 24

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1936 Jul, acquired by Boston VFW, USS Constitution Post for use as floating Hq in the Fort Point Channel, South Boston. Said to have been scrapped in 1942; also said to have been sunk by vandals in 1945

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 82

1912-1913: Hugh M Williams, Master (lost in sinking Nov 10, 1913)
1912-1913: Andrew Leahy, Mate (lost in sinking Nov 10, 1913)
1916-?: Conrad Christiansen, Master
1916-1917: Thorwald Berntsen, Mate
1917-1919: Richard Tobin, Mate
1922-?: Edwin J Wilkinson, Mate

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.