1849-1884

Location & historical notes: Connecticut, in Fishers Island Sound off Mystic.  The station was replaced by the Latimer Reef Lighthouse.

Lightships assigned:

1849 - ?: "L"

Tonnage: 41; wood hull
Station: 1835-1849: Bartlett Reef (CT)
1849-?: Eel Grass Shoal (CT)

? - 1871: LV-12 (I)

YEAR BUILT: 1835?

BUILT AT: ?

APPROPRIATION: None

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: Purchase/conversion costs unknown

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked - (Built as the supply vessel GUTHRIE and later converted for use as a lightship

LENGTH: 64', BEAM: 20', DRAFT: 86", TONNAGE: "about 150"

PROPULSION: Sail?

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern with 8 lard oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell and horn

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LVl2 (1)-
Former supply vessel GUTHRIE; converted for use as lightship

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 12 (1)
?-1871 Eel Grass Shoal (CT)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 12 (1) - GUTHRIE-
Prior to 1871 occupied Eel Grass Shoal (CT)-
1871 withdrawn and replaced by "new" LV 12
(The former supply ship GUTHRIE was converted to lightship use and later designated #12. She was replaced by a second lightship numbered 12 which had originally been numbered 22

(See LV 12 (2) for further information)

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1871 AGE: 64?

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold during 1871 - $322.87

1871-1872: LV-12 (ex- LV-22 )

YEAR BUILT: 1846

BUILT AT: Philadelphia, PA

APPROPRIATION: ??

BUILDER: ??

CONTRACT PRICE: Purchase/conversion costs unknown

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood, white oak and locust; copper & galvanized iron fastenings; two masts; lantern and square daymark on foremast only.

LENGTH: 72', BEAM: 20' 6", DRAFT: 9' 7", TONNAGE: 159 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on foremast; 8 lard oil lamps w/ reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LVl2 (II):

-1867: Metal sheathing repaired due to ice damage, broken fog bell replaced
-1868/69: Major overhaul at Norfolk, Virginia; supplied with one 2,800 pound mushroom anchor & 90 fathoms of 1 x 3/4" chain for use "in case of emergency."
-1871: Repairs at Staten Island, New York, upon transfer to Third District
-1874: Extensive repairs ($16,488); fitted with two new mushroom anchors & 185 fathoms of chain
-1880: July, extensive hull repairs, new lantern mast, re-rigged
-1883: General overhaul
-1891: Reported in poor condition, structurally weak from rot

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 12 (II):

-1846-?:  Relief, Fifth District
-1863-1864:  York Spit (VA)
-1864-1870:  Wolf Trap Shoal (VA); (numbered LV-22 in 1867)
-1871-1872:  Eel Grass Shoal (CT); (renumbered LV-12 in 1871)
-1872-1882:  Cornfield Point (CT)
-1884-1885:  Relief (CT)
-1885-1901:  Hog Island Shoal (RI)
-1901-1903:  Relief (CT); laid up

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 12 (II):

-1846:  Identified as "Relief" until she was assigned the hull number LV-22 in 1867 while on Wolf Trap station.
-1864:  On York Spit, VA, during the Civil War, "facilitating Army transport movement."
-1864, Aug 2: removed from York Spit and placed on Wolf Trap Shoal.
-1871, Jun:  lightship station discontinued upon activation of Wolf Trap Light; LV-22, was transferred to the Third District for relief duty.
-1871:  Placed on Eel Grass Shoal, CT, replacing the "old" LV-12/GUTHRIE; and was then renumbered from LV-22 to LV-12 by the Lighthouse Board.  Later carried off station by ice.
-1872:  Moved to Cornfield Point, CT.
-1875:  Carried off station by ice.
-1882:  Moved to Eel Grass Shoal.
-1884:  Station discontinued upon activation of the Latimers Reef Light.  LV-12 then assigned to "Relief" duty and was stationed at New London, CT.
-1886, Aug 14:  placed on Hog Island Shoal, RI, replacing a private aid to navigation.
-1898:  In collision with a passing vessels
-1901, Nov. 4: Hog Island Light, RI, activated; lightship station was discontinued, the lightship was withdrawn and laid up at New London.
-1901: LV-12 is designated "Relief" but was actually laid up at New London until 1903

1872-1877: LV-25

YEAR BUILT: 1827

BUILT AT: Chesapeake Bay

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: ?

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak & locust; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts

LENGTH: 61' (lbp), BEAM: 16', DRAFT: 6'6", TONNAGE: 41 (72.5 "old measure")

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern, oil lamp with 11 cylindrical wicks(1845)

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell and horn

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 25-

1845: Rebuilt, Alexandria (VA)-
1853: Jun, "thoroughly repaired" in Baltimore-
1866: Reported leaking-
1869: Extensive repairs

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV25
1827-1867: Hooper Straight (MD)
1867-1870: Relief (VA)
1870-1871: Choptank River entrance (MD)
1872-1877: Eel Grass Shoal (CT)
1877-1884: Relief (CT)

(1867: Hooper Straight station discontinued Sep 14, 1867 )
(l867-l868: While in Relief status, temporarily marked Deepwater Shoal (VA) during lighthouse rebuilding)
(1870-1871: "placed at entrance to Choptank River" while lighthouse being built)
(1883: While in Relief status, placed near Robbins Reef off Bayonne, NJ in New York Harbor during lighthouse reconstruction)
(Deepwater Shoal (VA), Choptank River (MD), and Robbins Reef (NY) are not listed in official records as lightship stations maintained by the U S)
(Prior to 1867 when No.25 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Hoopers" or "Hoopers Straight")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 25-
Only fragmentary data 1827-1845-
1845: "Serving at Hooper Straight" (MD)-
1862: Records note that "all the light vessels from Cape Henry southward
including the two in Potomac River and those in Chesapeake Bay (excluding
Hoopers Straight and Janes Island) have been removed and sunk or destroyed.
by the insurgents"-
1867: Sep, withdrawn from Hoopers Straight, station discontinued-
1867: Nov-Jan 1868, temporary duty at Deepwater Shoal (VA) while lighthouse
being rebuilt; retained Relief status-
1870: Jan, placed at entrance to Choptank River during lighthouse construction-
1872: Jun, towed to NY by steamer NETTLE; Jul, placed on Eel Grass Shoal (CT)-
1874: Slightly damaged in collision-
1877: Withdrawn, considered "small and not suited for service in this District"
and "too old for rebuilding"; assigned Relief duty at New London (CT)-
1883: Placed near Robbins Reef (NY Harbor) while lighthouse being built-
1883: Upon return to New London, recommended to be "stripped and sold";
thereafter laid up


More notes:
RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1885 AGE: 58
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:-

1885: Jan 1, Sold at public auction, New London (CT) - $101.02

1877-1882: LV-17

YEAR BUILT: 1848

BUILT AT: Stonington (CT)

BUILDER: Reuben Hancox

APPROPRIATION: $12,000

CONTRACT PRICE: ? (Approp. approved Aug 14, 1848)

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak & locust; copper & iron fastened

LENGTH: 78' (lbp), BEAM: 24', DRAFT: 7', TONNAGE: 150 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 Lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps (multi-wick,bowl type)

FOG SlGNAL: Hand operated 624 lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQU]PMENf CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 17-
1862: Supplied with new illuminating apparatus (unspecified) but probably Argarid
type lampo with reflectors-
1862: Stated to be "so sharp at both ends that there is little storage room"-
1863: General overhaul - $5726.90-
Frequent repairs throughout service due to extensive & recurring rot

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 17
1848-1867: Bartlett Reef (CT)
1867-1877: Relief (CT)
1877-1882: Eel Grass Shoal (CT)
1882-1891: Relief (CT)

(Prior to 1867 when No. 17 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Bartlett Reef")


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 17 (Records prior to 1863 are fragmentary and conflicting)-
Prior 1863, believed by some to have been on Succonnessett Shoal (MA) but
records provide no support for this, (perhaps confused with LV 13;-
1863: "Did duty" on Bartletta Reef (CT) per records-
1878: Stationed on Eel Grass Shoal (CT)-
1882: Dec 1, withdrawn, brought in for repair, reassigned as Relief-
1890: "Unfit for service" -"too old and rotten"-
1891: Jun 22, turned over to USN for target ship-
1891: Oct 15 -Washington Post stated that despite being fired on arid being hit
repeatedly "for some hours" by the Chicago, Newark, and Vesuvius~ LV 17 remained
afloat. "It was not until a boat crew fastened a torpedo to her stern post that
she was blown to smash and went down with colors flying"


More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1891 AGE: 49

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:-
1891: Condemned and dismantled. Delivered Jun 22 to US Naval Station, New London
(CT) for use as target. Sunk by naval gunfire Oct 15, 1891

1882-1884: LV-12 (ex-LV-22 ) SAME AS ABOVE.

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.