The new Lightship 71 was built of composite materials : wood hull , steel keel and braces , and was outfitted with a wireless telegraph in 1904 . LV 71 also had a cluster of 3 - 100cp electric lens lanterns mounted in a gallery at each masthead , a 12"steam chime whistle and a hand operated fog bell weighing 1,000 lbs. Its propulsion was supplied by a single surface condensing engine , scotch fired boiler , with a 4 bladed propellor 8' in Dia. and a designed max. speed of 8.5 knots .
In 1905 , LV 71 was fitted with an 18"searchlight as its main beacon , which was directed at a 45 degree angle to the horizon in a SE direction . ( its replacement , LV 72 had the same light as its main beacon ) . In 1912 , LV 71 was fitted with a 2 way radio by the USLHS .
The single most important event concerning LV 71 , was its encounter with a German Submarine , U - 104 . The CO of U-104, speaking perfect English and adhering to the rules of War , allowed the crew to get off safely before sinking the Lightship with cannon fire from the submarine on August 6 , 1918 . The shelling of the Lightship could be heard by the residents of Hatteras Village and other nearby locations .
Shortly after the loss of LV 71 , LV 72 took its duty at Diamond Shoals without incident until 1922 . LV 72 also served at : Cape Charles ( later called Chesapeake ) , Cross Rip Station off Cape Cod and as RELIEF for the 5th District
LV 72 , built at Quincy , Mass. in 1900 stood duty as RELIEF with LV 71 at 3 month intervals starting in 1900 , lasting through 1918 .When not on duty at Diamond Shoals , LV 71 stood duty at other locations in the N.Carolina , MD , Delaware area .
LV 105 / WAL 527 was assigned to Diamond Shoals from 1922 through1942 when the station was marked by a buoy during WW2 .
Lightship files of the late Edward Rowe Snow , DM Bingham , LSA Historian
Lighthouse and Lightships of the US Gov't., George R. Putnam
Mr Ken Black USCG Ret.
Mr Richard Bennett MM1 USCG Ret.
CWO Jim Gill USCG Ret.
Mrs Dorothy Snow Bicknell , Marshfield , Mass.
The station was replaced by the Diamond Shoal Light Tower.
1942-1945: marked by a buoy during World War II
Keep the flame of history burning! NEXT PAGE>
Copyright 2003 United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors by MGM IMAGING . All rights reserved.
Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 Revised: 11/03/07