WHAT'S NEW ON THE WEB SITE ?

YEAR BUILT: 1896

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

APPROPRIATION: $70,000
(Approp. for a Boston light vessel)

CONTRACT PRICE: $69,282

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; composite hull (steel sheathed with wood); main deck fully enclosed under weather deck; 2 masts with lantern galleries; stack amidships

LENGTH: 123'0" (loa); BEAM: 28'6"; DRAFT: 13'0"; TONNAGE: 590 displ (depth)

PROPULSION: Steam-one single cylinder surface condensing engine, 20"bore x 22" stroke, 350 IEP @ 150 rpm; 2 Watkins-Dickerson boilers each rated 300 hp; 4 bladed propeller; also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 4 electric lens lanterns mounted in galleries at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 66-
1896: Sep, Baird evaporator and distilling apparatus installed-
During the period 1896-1900, breaking adrift required replacement of 7
mushroom anchors and 565 fathoms chain-
1901: Aug, Marconi wireless telegraph equipment installed experimentally-
1904: Radio equipment permanently installed and placed in service; first
U.S. lightship permanently equipped with this capability for operational use-
1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1912: Provided with capability for showing either oil or electric lights-
1918: Illuminating apparatus converted to acetylene operation-
1923: Radio discontinued-
1931: Illuminating apparatus converted to electric operation

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 66

1896: Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)
1896-1907: Nantucket Shoals (MA)
1908-1918: Relief (MA)
1918-1923: Great Round Shoal (MA)
1923-1934: Cross Rip (MA)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 66-
1896: Jul 6, placed on Nantucket New South Shoal replacing LV 58; Oct 11, parted
chain and adrift, picked up by AZALEA and replaced on station-
1896: Oct 17, station position moved 17 1/4 ml southeastward and name changed
to Nantucket Shoals - repositioned by AZALEA-
1896: Dec 16, went adrift in gale losing anchor and 150 fathoms chain; anchored
off Gay Head until weather moderated then steamed to station Dec 21-
1897: Feb 3, broke from mooring drifting 65 miles; came in and anchored off
Falmouth, then coaled at New Bedford and steamed to station Feb 6-
1898: Jan 23, lost anchor and chain in gale; drifted 35 miles then steamed to
New Bedford, coaled and steamed back to station Jan 27-
1898: Sep 26-Nov 3, relieved (by LV 58) for repairs-
1899: Feb 13, broke adrift losing anchor and chain; steamed to New Bedford
Feb 16; LV 58 then relieved the station Feb 17 until return of LV 66 Feb 25-
1899: Mar 29, broke adrift losing anchor and 120 fathoms chain, drifting 35 ml
eastward, regained station May 31; Sep 27, relieved by LV 58 and steamed to
New Bedford for coal and rations; resumed station Oct 8-
1900: Jan 2, broke adrift in NW gale; steamed to New Bedford having lost both
anchors and chain, replaced on station by AZALEA Jan 6

More motes: LV 66-
1900: Oct 26-Dec 25, relieved (by LV 58) for extensive underwater and machinery repairs; 1 propeller blade found broken off and since no spare available, opposite blade was removed and LV 66 returned to station as the Relief LV 58 had gone adrift-
1901: Aug, Marconi wireless telegraph equipment "temporarily and experimentally installed"; Oct 17-Nov 17, relieved (by LV 58) for repairs-
1904: Radio placed in service; 1st US lightship permanently equipped with radio-
1906: Jan 18-Mar 7, relieved by LV 71 (5th District) for urgently needed repairs-
1906 Nov 21-Jan 2 1907, relieved (by LV 78 from 3d District) for repairs-
Assigned Relief duty 1908-1918-
Assigned Great Round Shoal 1918-1923; Cross Rip 1923, Dec 22-1934-
1928: Jan 25, parted chain and adrift; ANEMONE recovered moorings and repositioned lightship on station Jan 27

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1934; AGE: 38

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold 1934

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 66

1896-1903: James Jorgensen, Master
1904-1913: Frank Doane, Master
1906-?: Rufus T Chase, Mate
1917-?: William G Collins, Mate
1918: Manuel T Chantre, Mate
1918-1925: Charles L Gage, Mate

Back to Cross Rip Lightship Station History

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.