Columbia  River  Lightship  LV  93  WAL  517

From L to R LV 92 behind that  LV 93 and to the right LV 87. This picture was taken in Tompkinsville in 1920.

 

YEAR BUILT: 1908

BUILT AT: Quincy (MA)

BUILDER: Fore River Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $107,213

SISTER VESSELS: LV 90, 91, 92 (Built to same general plan as for LV 84-88)

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood deckhouses; 2 steel masts with wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'7"; TONNAGE: 685 displ; 478 gross

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 400 iHP; 2 Scotch boilers 10'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; propeller 8'0" dia; max speed 9.5 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead; focal plane 50' above water

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 93-
1909: Submarine bell signal installed-
1920: Equipped with radio-
1924: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1930: Illuminating apparatus changed to 375mm electric lens lanterns, 13,OOOcp-
1935: Original main boilers replaced with Almy water-tube type-
1932: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (17" Leslie Typhon)-
1951: Retained original steam power plant until decommissioned-
Radio and visual call sign NMGL (1940-1951)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 93 / WAL 517
1909-1930: Swiftsure Bank (WA)
1930-1939: Umatilla Reef (WA)
1939-1951: Columbia River (OR)

(Swiftsure station established 1909 off entrance to Straight of Juan de Fuca, vessel painted yellow)


(1942-1945 during WWII remained assigned to Columbia River station; no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 93 / WAL 517-
1908: Having been assigned duty on the West Coast, LV 03 in company with LV 88, LV 92 and 3 lighthouse tenders SEQUOIA, MANZANITA and KUKUI departed from New York in convoy and made the voyage to San Francisco in 124 days-


1923: Dec 30, during strong easterly gale increasing to Force 11, steamed ahead at mooring, shipping heavy cross seas on starboard side; stove in 2 ports, damaged engine room skylight and caused other damage to on deck gear-
1932: Dec 22, parted chain during severe storm and unable to regain station under power; ordered to Port Angeles Dec 23 for replacement chain and anchor; 2 attempts to regain station were unsuccessful due to heavy weather; took station Dec 26, suffering considerable damage in the process-

1938: Dec 2, during a severe storm with winds estimated at Force 12, and with engine running ahead, vessel shipped a heavy sea over the bow; two forward ports stove in, starboard hawsepipe plug stove in; galley smokestack sheared off, and as the sea moved aft, deck fittings and gear were broken and life raft stowed on radio house was carried away

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1951; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Apr 9, 1951; sold Nov 2, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 93 / WAL 517

?-1913: E H Lindman, Mate
1915-1919: Samuel Atkinson, Mate
1919-?: Samuel Atkinson, Master
1920-1921: Nils Kroger, Mate
1921-?: Robert Barber, Mate
1936-?: George H McNelley, Mate

Back to Columbia River Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.