Columbia  River  Lightship  LV  88  WAL  513

YEAR BUILT: 1907

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $90,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 84,85,86,87

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilothouse and deckhouses; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 683 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 325 IHP; 2 boilers 93" dia x i6'4" long; propeller 7'9" dia; design max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail initially

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 88-
1909: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1920: Equipped with radio-
1924: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1927: 375mm electric lens lanterns installed in gallery at each masthead-
1933: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (17" Leslie Typhon)-
1934: Radiobeacon synchronized with fog signal for distance finding-
193?: Steam propulsion system replaced with diesel-electric-
1935: Fog signal changed to air diaphragm horn-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
Radio and visual call sign NMGJ (19401960)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 88/WAL 513
1909-1939: Columbia River (WA)
1939-1942: Umatilla Reef (WA)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1959: Umatilla Reef (WA)
1959-1960: Relief (West Coast)
(1942-1945: During WWII, withdrawn from Umatilla, assigned to NOWESTSEAFRON, stationed at Seattle WA and used as examination vessel; armed with one 3" gun mounted aft. Classed as a "YN" - net tender during the period)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 88 / WAL 513-
1908: Having been assigned duty on the West Coast, LV 88 in company with LV 92 and 93; and three lighthouse tenders SEQUOIA, MANZANITA, and KUKUI departed in convoy from New York and made the voyage to San Francisco in 124 days-
1914: Jan 2, during SR storm after steaming ahead for 11 hours, a boarding sea stove in the pilot house sheared off steering compass, bent steering wheel shaft and carried away bridge binnacle. Also carried away ventilator and galley stack; damaged engine room skylight flooding engine room; smashed ports in after house and carried away deck stanchions; 2 crew injured by flying glass

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1960; AGE: 53

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov 23, 1960; sold to scrap yard Jul 25, 1962; then became floating exhibit at Columbia River Maritime Museum 1963-1979 then sold. Plans for floating restaurant failed then sold in 1982 to Claude Lacerte, converted to half brigantine BELLE BLONDE, to Quebec 1984 for charter use.  Survived a hurricane in 1985 with the loss of one crewman swept overboard.  The vessels then sailed back to the Caribbean where it was used for 7 day cruises around the islands.  It was then sold and delivered to Japan in 1988.

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 88 / WAL 513

1909-1918: J Nielsen, Master
1909-1913: William A Steel, Mate
1918-?: David Ingram, Master
1918: Andrew G Anderson, Mate
1918: Gustav B Howe, Mate
1918-1919: Nils S Kroger, Mate
1919-1921: Andrew G Anderson, Mate
1925-?: Jacob Nielsen, Mate
1936-?: Leslie A Leadbetter, Master
?-1938: Robert Barber, Mate
1938-?: Henry Hobson, Mate

Back to Columbia River Lightship Station History

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.