Columbia  River  Lightship  LV  67

YEAR BUILT: 1897

BUILT AT: Portland (OR)

BUILDER: Wolf & Zwicker Iron Works

APPROPRIATION: $77, 000

CONTRACT PRICE: $69,750

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; composite hull, (steel sheathed with wood); 2 steel masts with spencers; stack amidships; lantern houses on deck

LENGTH: 122'7"(loa); BEAM: 28'6"; DRAFT: 13'; TONNAGE: 450displ (depth)

PROPULSION: Steam- 200 IEP, (details not found)


ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 electrically powered lanterns at each masthead as built; later converted to oil operation for the remainder of her service

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 67-
1900: May 8, Illuminating apparatus converted from electric to oil operation-
1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1921: Equipped with radio

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 67
1897-1898: Columbia River (OR)
1898-1905: Umatilla Reef (WA)
1905-1906: Columbia River (OR)
1906-1930: Umatilla Reef (WA)

(1897-1898: Temporarily used to mark Columbia River while LV 50 being repaired)
(1905-1906: Withdrawn temporarily from Umatilla and used to mark Columbia River while LV 50 undergoing extensive repairs following her second grounding)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 67-
Construction started 1895 but contract forfeited Nov 12, 1896 when original contractor failed to perform. Bids re-advertised and vessel completed Aug 10, 1897-
1897: Sep 9, placed on Columbia River "temporarily" to relieve LV 50 for extensive hull repairs-
1897: Nov 17 & Dec 11, broke adrift losing 2 anchors and 300 fathoms chain; off station "several days" in each case-
1898: Jan 25, withdrawn from Columbia River (replaced by LV 50) and was returned to builder to "remedy certain defects"-
1898: May 22, placed on Umatilla Reef (WA); Aug 4, broke adrift, remained on station using harbor anchor; new mushroom & chain delivered by tender May 25-
1899: Nov 17-Dec 14, broke adrift and repositioned by tender-
1900: May 18, withdrawn, station being marked by lighted buoy marked "Lightship Moorings"; while under repair, illuminating apparatus was converted from electric to oil operation in Aug; returned to station Sep 6; Oct 23-Nov 16, broke adrift and brought up in Neah Bay (WA)

More notes: LV 67-
1901: Jan 10-28, broke adrift and brought up at Port Angeles. then taken to
Seattle for repairs-
1903: Reported as showing a fixed white light from both mastheads-
1905: Jul 19, relieved (by LV 76) and towed to Seattle for repairs-
1905: Oct 25-Oct 9 1906, "temporarily placed" on Columbia River (OR) during
period when LV 50 had been again blown ashore and was undergoing repair-
1906: Nov 2, resumed station on Umatilla Reef, remaining assigned to that
station until 1930 when she was laid up

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1930, AGE: 33

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold 1930

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 67

1897-1903: Charles Hastorf, Master
1903-1917: Cyrus Karr, Master
?-1914: William Tobin, Mate
1914: A L Lofstrom, Mate
1914-1915: Samuel Atkinson, Mate
1915-1917: Erik H Lindman, Mate
1917-1930: Erik H Lindman, Master
1917: Gustave H Howe, Mate
1918-1921: Andrew G Anderson, Mate
1921-1925: Jacob Nielsen, Mate
1925-1930: Ole J Lilleoren, Mate

Back to Columbia River Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2004  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.