Lightship LV 80

YEAR BUILT: 1904

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $90, 000

CONTRACT PRICE: $85,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 78,79,81,83

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; 2 steel masts with wood spencers; stack amidships; small wheelhouse forward

LENGTH: 129'0" (loa); BEAM: 28'6"; DRAFT: 12'6"; TONNAGE: 668 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 350 IHP; 2 boilers 9'3" dia x 16'4" long, 100 psi; propeller 7'9" dia; max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail initially

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated 1000 lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 80
-1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal
-1918: Equipped with radio
-1919: Radio-beacon installed
-1922: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene
-1924: Illuminant changed from acetylene to electricity
-1932: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (Leslie 17" typhon
-1933: Fog signal changed from steam to air operation

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 80
1905-1924: Cape Lookout Shoals (NC)
1924-1927: Cape Charles (VA)
1927-1934: Relief (VA)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 60
-1904: Dec 1, Delivered to Lazaretto Point Depot, Baltimore, however available
funds insufficient to place on station so was laid up until mid-March 1905
-1905: Apr 1, placed on Cape Lookout Shoals (NC), replacing LV 40
-1905: Aug 1-15, relieved (by LV 71) for repair at Baltimore
-1906: Apr 10, parted chain and adrift; steamed to Beaufort (NC), took on coal
and resumed station Apr 13; May 1-Jun 1, relieved (by LV 72) for repair;
Dec ?-Dec 25, relieved (by LV 71) for repair at Baltimore
-1913: Sep 2/3 during hurricane force winds, unable to raise lanterns due to
severe thrashing of hoist wires; hand lanterns rigged and hoisted all night;
boarding seas caused substantial damage
-1914: Feb 24, during NNE gale, increasing to hurricane force Feb 26, parted
chain; with engine full ahead was impossible to keep head to sea; next morning
Master boarded steamer CRETAN & sent radio message requesting new moorings, then
steamed close to station and showed lights that night; placed ship on station
0925 Feb 28, having steamed 41 miles in regaining position
-1915: Feb 18, during gale parted chain losing anchor and 150 fathoms chain;
with engine full ahead maintained approximate position until wind abated;
repositioned on station using spare anchor Feb 20

More notes: LV 80
-1916: Oct 24, blown off station in heavy gale, returning Oct 26 when weather
moderated
-1930: Oct 26, took aboard 25 men adrift for 2 days in disabled fishing party
boat; later taken ashore by Coast Guard patrol boat


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1934; AGE: 30

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold Dec 13, 1934

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 80

1905-1913: Robert Bertram, Master
1905-1913: Randall Scarborough, Mate
1905-1906: Arthur T Vany, Mate
1913-1915: Randall Scarborough, Master
1913-1917: C H Lowenhjelm, Mate
1915-1917: Alexander Andersen, Master
1917: Thomas Simmons, Mate
1917: George C Daniels, Mate
1917: Edwin E Holm, Mate
1917: Thomas Hayman, Mate
1917: Thomas Jacobsen, Mate
1917-?: Thomas Jacobsen, Master
1917-1918: Charley E O'Neal, Mate
1918: John E McCotter, Mate
1918: Charles E Tull, Mate
1918: Luther Muse, Mate
1921-?: Richard J Spencer, Mate

To Cape Hatteras Lightship Station History.

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.