Bowlers Rock, 1835-1868

Location & historical notes: Virginia, in the upper Rappahonnock River, about 34 miles above its entrance into the Chesapeake Bay, and about 8 1/2 miles downriver from the town of Tappahannock.  Moored on the easterly side of the channel to mark a rock off Bowlers Wharf.  The station was no longer needed when Bowlers Rock Lighthouse was activated about one mile upriver from the lightship station.  LV "O" was captured by Confederate forces in 1861.  This lightship's ultimate fate remains unknown.

Lightships assigned:

1835-1861: "O "

1861-1863: station vacant

1864-1868: LV-28

"O"

Tonnage: 54; wood hull
Station: 1835-1861: Bowlers Rock (VA)
Note: Removed, sunk or destroyed by Confederate forces

YEAR BUILT: 1864

LV 28-

BUILT AT: Norfolk (VA)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $16,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked, 2 masts, black hoop-iron daymark on mainmast only

LENGTH: 82' (lbp), BEAM: 22', DRAFT: 9', TONNAGE: 83 gross

PROPULSION: Sail


ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern having 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 28-

1880/81: Rebuilt at New Orleans; light changed to red-
1882: Light list states Straw color with black lettering; showing a single
red light 48 feet above water, visible 12 1/4 miles-
1888: Rebuilt and enlarged to 101 tons gross - no particulars given-
1892: New lamps with reflectors installed-
1895: New 22 ft "square stern sailboat supplied"-
1898: May, major hull repairs-
1903: May 22, hauled and repaired-
1904: May 18, "now being repaired"

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:LV28
1864-1868: Bowlers Rock (VA)
1868-1869: Relief (5th District)
1870-1906: Galveston (TX)


(1894: Position moved 1 1/4 mi eastward)
(Galveston station discontinued Apr23, 1906 )
(Prior to 1867 when No. 28 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Bowlers Rock Light Vessel")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 28-

1864: Placed on Bowlers Rock (VA), (withdrawn when station discontinued 1868)-
1868/69: Relief duty (5th District)-
1869: Dec 20, towed to New Orleans (LA) by tender GERANIUM arriving Jan 11,1870:
both vessels then received "some repairs"-
1870: Placed on Galveston (TX), replacing lightship called "Galveston" at that
time, but later referred to as "XX"-
1892: Replaced by can buoy while being repaired-
1892: Sep 25, damaged by fire caused by defective lamp-
1894: Position moved 1 1/4 mi eastward so that lightship fog signal would be nearer the end of the jetties''-
1898: May-Sep, withdrawn when submarine mines were laid across Galveston Harbor
entrance during Spanish-American War-
1900: Sep, parted chain during hurricane, driven into Galveston Bay and
anchored; "sustained severe injury"-
1906: Apr 23, withdrawn: station discontinued-
1907: "Laid up at Galveston with a master and cook aboard"-
1910: Out of commission - "not used as an aid to navigation"


More notes:


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1906 AGE: 42

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold May 22, 1911



COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 28

1881-1893: Martin Stocker, Asat Keeper
1893-1899: Martin Stocker, Master
1905-1907: Theodore Colson, Master

Back to Lightship Stations and the Ships that Served on them.

OR,

Back to Lightships by their Hull number and the Stations they Served on.

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.