YEAR BUILT: 1904

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $90,000

CONTRACT PRICE: $89,000 (Approp. approved Mar 3, 1903)

SISTER VESSELS: LV 78,79,80,83

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, 2 steel masts with wood spencers; small wood pilot house; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 129'0" (loa); BEAM: 28'6" ; DRAFT: 12'6"; TONNAGE: 668 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 325 IHP; 2 boilers 9'3"dia x 16'4" long, 100 psi; propeller '7'9" dia; max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated 1000 lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 81-
1910: Submarine bell signal installed-
1915: Equipped with radio-
1931: Illuminating apparatus changed to 375mm electric lens lantern at each
masthead; lantern houses and spencer masts removed-
1931: Fog whistle replaced with steam diaphragm horn (Leslie 17" typhon)-
1936: Repowered; Atlas Imperial diesel 375 HP, max speed 8 knots;
auxiliary machinery replaced with Diesel; fog signal changed to F2T diaphone-
1939: Radio-beacon installed-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1949: USCG lists the vessel with 2 500mm 13,OOOcp lens lanterns; TB-144 radar;
other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGD (1940-1951)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 81/WAL507

1905-1936: Heald Bank (TX)
1936-1938: Unassigned (8th district)
1938-1940: Unassigned (2nd District)
1940-1942: Boston (MA)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel; WWII
1946-1951: Boston (MA)

(1936-1938: Converted from steam to diesel, then laid up, 8th district)
(1938-1940: Unassigned, undergoing extensive repairs, Chelsea, MA)
(1942-1945: During WWII, withdrawn from Boston station and assigned to 5th district at Norfolk, VA; used as examination vessel/guard ship; armed with one 3" gun)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 81 / WAL 507-
1903: Oct 1, bids advertised, estimating completion by Dec 31, 1904-
1905: Jun 11, delivered by contractor to New Orleans (LA), but lack of operating
funds prevented placing vessel on station; Mar 22, steamed to Mobile (AL),
hauled and painted; departed Mobile for station Mar 28-
1905: Apr 3, placed on Heald Bank (TX), 3/4 mi SW x S from a shoal spot of 4 1/2
fathoms, the shallowest part of the bank about 28 mi off Galveston Harbor entrance
showing 2 fixed white lights-
1906: Apr 25-May 17, towed to Mobile for repair; station temporarily marked by
lighted buoy-
1915: Sep 3/4, during hurricane, hull plates damaged by dock at New Orleans-
1917: Meteorological equipment supplied by arrangement with USN and Weather
Bureau for recording and reporting weather observations twice daily by radio-
1919: Jun 14, during heavy gale, parted chain and anchored 1 mi SW of station;
regained station Jun 17 when weather moderated-
1926: Aug 18-21, while docked at Pensacola for repair, during hurricane bow
plating severely damaged by repeatedly colliding with the stern of LV 102 which
was tied up ahead; both vessels hauled for repair


More notes: LV 81 / WAL 507-
During 1930s lightship withdrawn from station Jul 15-Oct 15 each year-
1936: Jul 15, withdrawn from station and was not replaced thereafter; steam
propulsion and auxiliary machinery replaced with Diesel, then laid up.-
1938: Notice to Mariners - lightship will not be replaced, station discontinued-
1938: Jun, transferred to 2d District; departed Mobile AL Jun 29, arriving at
Chelsea MA Jul 13-
1938/1940 Unassigned; during this period, major overhaul and hull repairs
carried out at Fore River Shipyard followed by refit and equipment changes
and repainting inside and out at Chelsea Depot during 1939-
1940: Placed on Boston station-
1942: Withdrawn during WWII for service as Examination Vessel, station marked
by buoy 1942-43, then by LV 54 pending return of LV 81-
1946: Restationed on Boston until 1951

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1951; AGE: 47

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Apr 4, 1951; sold Jul 21, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 81 / WAL 507

1905-1906: Fred Tredup, Master
1905: Theodore Colson, Mate
1905-1906: Elwood C Evans, Mate
1906-?: Elwood C Evans, Master
1906-?: Henry Q Austin, Mate
?-1914: D H McCluskey, Mate
1914-1915: James Heaney, Mate
1916-?: Tonning Torkildsen, Mate
?-1916: Frederick Skousgard, Master
1916-1917: David H McCluskey, Master
1917: Edward Dorgan, Mate
1917-1919: Emil C Oxelgren, Mate
1919-?: Charles H Donegal, Mate
?-1938: Henry Olsen, Mate
1949: BMC Ralph Joline OIC

Peach  Back to Boston Station History

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.