YEAR BUILT: 1938

BUILT AT: East Boothbay (ME)

BUILDER: Rice Brothers

APPROPRIATION: ?
(Funds appropriated specifically for a lightship for Cornfield Point)

SISTER VESSELS: None

CONTRACT PRICE: $223,900

DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull; steel deckhouses; single lantern mast with gallery on house aft of pilot house; short smokestack

LENGTH: 114'9" (loa); BEAM: 26'0"; DRAFT: 13'4"; TONNAGE: 412 displ

PROPULSIOi~: Diesel -one Cooper-Bessemer 8 cylinder air-start engine, 400 BHP, connected to shaft through reduction gear; 7'2" dia propeller; max speed 9 knots


ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Duplex 375mm electric lens lantern, each rated l5,000cp

FOG SIGNAL: Dual air diaphones, switchable to single horn; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATlONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 118-
The last lightship designed and built by the Lighthouse Service-
Hull design patterned after LV 112 with respect to compartmentation, watertight integrity and safety features; two diesel driven compressors powered fog signal, pumps, windlass and boat hoisters. Electric power by two diesel driven 10 KW generators and storage battery bank. Fitted with radio, radiobeacon synchronized with fog signal when built-
1938: Jun 4, launched; sea trials Aug 24/25; delivered Staten Island NY Sep 11, averaging 9.2 knots on the run from Boothbay to NY.-
1943: Fitted with detection radar-
1963: USCG lists vessel with displacement 449 tons; duplex 300mm lens lantern, 13,000cp each lantern, AN/SPN-1l radar; other characteristics as shown above Radio and visual call sign NMJF (1940-1972)


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 118 / WAL 539
1938-l957: Cornfield Point (CT)
1958-1962: Cross Rip (MA)
1962-1972: Boston (MA)

(1942-1945: During WWII, remained assigned to Cornfield station, no armament provided)


HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 118 / WAL 539-
1939: Apr 25, placed on Cornfield Point (CT), serving thereafter on the
Cross Rip and Boston stations until withdrawn Oct 5, 1972


More notes:


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1972; AGE: 34

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov '7, 1972; donated to Lewes Historical
Society (DE) Aug 9 1973; afloat and on display at Lewes; marked OVERFALLS
(although never assigned to that station)

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 118 / WAL 539

1963: CWO D E Dean, CO

April 1968 until April 1970. CWO2 Stanley M. Pridham

1973 (?):  CWO (BM) R. A. Buotte

Silver Back to Boston Station History

Paisley bars

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.