YEAR BUILT: 1854

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

APPROPRIATION: $12,000 (1852)
(Approp. for lightship for Succonnessett Shoal)

CONTRACT PRICE: $12,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood „ white oak & chestnut; fastened with copper & locust treenails below water, iron fastened above water; 2 masts, daymarks on both

LENGTH: 79'8" (lbp), BEAM: 21'8", DRAFT: 9'9", TONNAGE: 155 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on foremast, 8 oil lamps w/reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Bell and horn, hand operated

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATlONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 13-
1854: One of 5 lightships contracted from J.Hood; (Minots Ledge #7, Sandy Hook
#16, Succonnessett #13, Rattlesnake Shoal, and Kill Pond Bar). Contract for 5th
vessel was "annulled" for "failure to construct on time"-
1862: Jun, second lantern installed on mainmast-
1864/65: Rebuilt by Geo.T Marshall, New London (CT), $17,857-
1877: Rebuilt by David Carll, City Island (NY) $14,119-
1894: May-Jul, "extensive repairs"-
1920: Fog signal upgraded to 10" air whistle, illuminant changed to acetylene


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 13
1854-1855: Relief (MA)
1855-1862: Succonnessett Shoal (MA)
1862-1867: Relief (3d District)
1867-1933: Bartlett Reef (CT)
1933-1934: Relief (laid up)

(Bartlett Reef station discontinued May 19, 1933)

("No number cut in main beam or otherwise". Until 1867 when No. 13 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Relief Succonnessett" and/or "Succonnesset" regardless of its location)

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 13-

1854: Aug 19, received from builder; relieved various Nantucket Sound stations-
1855: Jun 17, placed on Succonnessett Shoal (MA)-
1862: Jul, repaired and sent to 3d District; relieving Sandy Hook Jul„Oct: Bartletts Reef Nov 62 Jul 63; Stratford Shoal Oct 63-May 64-
1864/65: Rebuilt-
1866/67: No activity shown in records-
1867: Jul 30 Assigned to and placed on Bartletts Reef (CT)-
1875: Carried off station by ice-
1877: Towed to City Island (NY) and rebuilt-
1888: Collision with passing coal barge, leaking badly, slipped chain and sailed
to New London-
1889: Leaking, withdrawn for repairs-
1894: May-Jul, extensive hull repairs-
1899: Carried off station by ice-
1903: Color changed from straw to black; off station 4 days due to ice-
1904: Carried off station by ice 3 times during the winter-
1918: Feb, parted chain in gale and grounded on ledge off Fishers Island; hauled
off and towed in by MISTLETOE

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1933 AGE: 79

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Taken out of service and laid up May 19,1933; Sold Dec 13, 1934


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 13

1880-1893: Daniel C Tinker, Keeper
1893-?: Daniel C Tinker, Master
?-1913: C H Lowenheim, Master
1913-1915: Arthur Daunt, Master
?-1914: James McAuley, Mate
1914: Clark E Smith, Mate
1914-1915: Andrew J Clay, Mate
1915: William Hunt, Mate
1915-1924: Clark E Smith, Master
1915-1916: Charles T DeRose, Mate
1916: Emil Ness, Mate
1916-1920: John A Veseth, Mate
1920-?: John Anderson, Mate
1924-1933: John S Gunderson, Master

Back to Bartlett Reek Lightship Station History

Copyright © 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.