YEAR BUILT: 1854

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

APPROPRIATION: $22, 000

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

CONTRACT PRICE: $28,084

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts with oval daymarks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 125'8" (ba) BEAM: 22'6" DRAFT: l0'4" TONNAGE: 250 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps & reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: LV 16-
1862: Jul-Oct, rebuilt below water line - $10,000-
1871: May 24-Nov 29, rebuilt above water & refitted - $18,084-
1872: "Thiers automatic fog signal, bilge pump & ventilator" installed for test;
fog signal found unsatisfactory; pump & ventilator were retained-
1883: Sep 20-Jun 1884, rebuilt at New Bedford (MA)-
1892: Aug. equipped with English revolving (flashing) apparatus rotated by two
small steam winch engines, also fitted with boiler and steam fog whistle-
1905: 10" air fog whistle installed with 2 oil engines and compressor-
1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1912: Fog sigrtal changed to air siren, whistle retained-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1922-
1920: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene


STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 16
1854-1891: Sandy Hook (NY)
1891-1935: Relief (NY)
(1891 May 15, position moved 2 1/4 mi NE x N)
(1899: Apr-Jun. loaned to 5th District for Relief duty)
(1899: Jun-Dec, loaned to 4th I)istrict for Relief duty)
(1903: Jul 20-1904 Jul 24, loaned to 4th District for Relief duty)
(1906: Jul-Oct, loaned to 4th District for Relief duty)
(1932-1935 laid up)
("No number cut in main beam or otherwise". Prior to 1867 when No. 16 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Sandy Hook")

HISTORICAL NOTES: LV 16-

1854: Oct, placed on Sandy Hook (NY)-
1873: Feb 15, lights changed from white to red-
1874: In collision with steamer CHARLESTON-
1879: Appropriation of $50,000 requested for replacement vessel-
1883: Reported "decayed and unserviceable", estimate $20,000 for repair-
1888: In collision with British bark STAR OF THE EAST-
1888: Congress passed appropriation bill for $60,000 but tailed to authorize
expenditure of funds for replacement vessel.-
1892: Aug 1, withdrawn upon arrival of replacement (LV 48), and assigned as
Relief (NY); English revolving (flashing) apparatus and steam fog signal added-
1899: Apr. sent to 5th District as Relief; Jun 30 sent to 4th District as Relief
returning to 3d District on Dec 22-
1904: Jul 20-Jul 24 1904, sent to 4th District as Relief-
1906: Jul-Oct sent to 4th District as Relief-
Removed from service 1932, but retained Relief status until 1935. When removed
from service, was the last US lightship powered by sail only

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1932

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Sold 1935 or later AGE: 78

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 16

1882-1886: David H Caulkins, Keeper

1919-1926: Alexander Olsen, Master
19261929: Harry Elde, Master
1929-1932: Christophore Lasdine, Master

to Ambrose Channel Lightship Station History

Copyright 2003  United States Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association INC. All rights reserved. Copyrights also protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998
Revised: 10/23/06.